Author Topic: Roguelike Universe - data visualisation for Roguelike influences  (Read 10958 times)

Spaxe

• Newcomer
  • crafting data visualisations
    • View Profile
    • Roguelike Universe
    • Email
TL;DR — Roguelike Universe data visualisation project page is live!
https://spaxe.github.io/roguelike-universe/

- Spaxe

Hello everyone,

Come and explore the data visualisations at Roguelike Universe. It supports all major desktop and mobile browsers, except IE 11. If you bump into issues, please reply here to let me know.

I started back in 2016 scraping for information on roguelike game influences and design inspiration. During that time, I developed a few interesting visualisations along the way, and published a couple of papers at conferences. The project started through looking at game jams, and most recently, commercial and open source roguelike games.

The datasets are mirrored from the RogueTemple International Roguelike Database and Wikipedia. The data visualisations only list the 'stable' and 'major' roguelike games for now. In addition, I also listed some of the roguelike-like games there for interest as well. I know there are many more games in development, as well as the ones from 7DRL. Hopefully overtime I can add them. More information about the research can be found at the bottom of the page.

All dataset is made available in the page, and below every figure there is a link to download them. They are live, meaning that as I update the data visualisation, the download gets updated as well. If you are interested in the source code, it is open source on GitHub.

Finally, if you checked out the project and liked it, can you please let me know by replying here? :) Thanks!

- Spaxe

P.S. This is my first post on RogueTemple. Woot!

(Edit: removed survey link as it is closed. The site lives on and will be updated!)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:17:56 PM by Spaxe »
Data visualisations: Roguelike Universe | Website: Jump to Glide | Twitter

Samildanach

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Ocean
Re: Roguelike Universe - data visualisation for Roguelike influences
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 12:03:41 AM »
Nice work, though I don't understand any of it ;D Data analysis is beyond me.

Spaxe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Roguelike Universe
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 03:53:03 AM »
The discussion on Reddit is pretty hot. If you post there I will also include the discussion into my research analysis:  https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/96sjzz/a_visualisation_of_roguelike_ancestryinfluence/

cavitiessolution

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 07:25:42 AM »
I appreciate you sharing it. I plan to use it as a jumping-off place to explore some of this year's crown jewels.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 03:33:27 AM by cavitiessolution »

Spaxe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Roguelike Universe
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 07:29:53 AM »
Hey cavitiessolution, you're certainly more than welcome to explore the dataset up til 2019 when I was still actively collecting the data. I haven't been able to find time to update it since but it would mostly require going in and writing a scheduled script that runs. If anyone has experience in python doing web scraping I'd love some help.