Author Topic: MineCraft  (Read 20423 times)

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
MineCraft
« on: June 15, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
Hey you guys,

I'm not sure if you've heard about MineCraft, but I'm guessing it appeals a fair bit to the Roguelike crowd! It uses Java and is an applet, so the best way for you guys to find out if you like it is to go and try it!

Basically, you're in a block (think 3d matrix) world, where you can remove and add blocks more or less at will. That's it. It has multiplayer, and around a dozen types of blocks, some of which interact with one another. The great thing is the open-endedness of it. You can just go and do whatever you like, castles, ruins, ... well, WHATEVER you like.

You can play for free right now, but as the game evolves and new features are added, they might no longer be available unless you buy it. It's currently at $15 or 10€. For example, if you buy the game you can make custom skins (I have a pirate, harrrrr).

I'd highly recommend you guys give it a twirl, you might just enjoy it!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:22:56 AM by Anvilfolk »
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: MineCraft
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:32:08 AM »
I dunno if it's really got much in common with roguelikes other than the random world, and terrain destruction, but it *is* strangely entertaining.

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:25:45 AM »
You can make massive dungeons! You can explore at will, and even the original procedurally generated terrain is interesting enough! Yesterday I did a Tesla Coil and another guy did the Eye of Sauron and we put lightning between them! It was like a mega duel! :P

HARRR!
 - The tutor warcry

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »
What server do you play in, by the way?

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »
I put an old computer working as a server back at home, so I have a private one running there. "Griefers" are a major issue in the multiplayer aspect of the game right now. Basically, some kids just come in and start destroying everything. It's pretty sad - but there's hopes that a future votekick feature will deal with that issue :)

Wohooo, and there's a new image of sponnnnnnnge and glass :)
 - The tutor warcry