Author Topic: Making a Roguelike in Gamemaker  (Read 40679 times)

Geminosity

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Roguelike in Gamemaker
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »
In a collision event 'other' is the object you're bumping into.
If you use 'with' then inside the with statement 'other' is the object that called with.

e.g.

inside object_YAY:

with(object_LOL)
{
     'other' is the object_YAY here.
}

guest509

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 02:55:08 AM »
Uhg...okay.  ;)

DWRoelands

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 01:05:01 AM »
Does Game Maker: Studio have the necessary functionality to be able to do this?  I've been really itching to build a RL, but can't muster up the nerve to code an entire system/engine from scratch.

guest509

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 02:14:41 AM »
Absolutely and without a doubt Gamemaker has the functionality to make any 2D game. I've made several roguelikes with it. Geminosity has made several as well. Tons and tons of RPG's have been made too.

It's powerful and quick. You can check out Geminosity's Nya Quest, or my Gunfist, KlingonRL or Sun Crusher games.

Nya and KlingonRL are particularly traditional in the turn based and tactical departments. And I'm not even that good with it. I totally didn't even know there was built in pathfinding, stack and que statements, etc...I was using arrays and other nonsense.

Also Derrek Yu made Spelunky (PC) in an OLDER SLOWER version of Gamemaker.

Note that if you want to make a complex game you'll have to learn the scripting language GML. If you know any other programming language at all it'll take you 20 minutes to start coding GML.

One of the first couple of tutorials we linked is a 'maze game' tutorial. So there you go.