Author Topic: Graph Grammar and Voronoi based Dungeon Generation  (Read 18281 times)

Quendus

• Rogueliker
  • $@ \in \{1,W\} \times \{1,H\}$
    • View Profile
    • Klein Roguelikes
Re: Graph Grammar and Voronoi based Dungeon Generation
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »
This is not very complex. You take a graph, you take a set of rules, you search for a subgraph that matches a rule, you replace it according to the rule.
The difficult bits of the theory (terminal conditions, confluency, blah blah) can all be ignored here because the idea is to exploit nondeterminacy to create random levels.
The difficult bit of implementation can be done by various free libraries if you don't fancy implementing subgraph matching. Same thing for force-based graph drawing and Voronoi diagrams.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 11:43:35 PM »
A pretty sad record frankly; and non very akin to your "simple is better" preaching.

guest509

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 12:15:40 AM »
  I prefer simpler creation methods because of my unsophistication math skills...and I'm pretty lazy too.

:-)

PS: What kind of game you thinking of? Turnbased strategy? Empire builder maybe?

guest509

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 12:19:40 AM »
I also started to program a major roguelike some time during 1996 and possibly hold the world record in the amount of hours put into development of a single game.

Oh man Krice! I thought you just sorta dabbled off and on but were a solid programmer. I had no idea you'd put that much time into a single game. I imagine you are talking about Kaduria?

So when you hit 20 years of development, what do you do?

naughty

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
Jo: The idea is to make a fairly simple, single hit point roguelike but try and push level gen and decoration a bit.

I was part of a discussion at the IRDC in London when I was on the side claiming that roguelike level gen should be more ambitious. So I thought it was time to put up or shut up.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »
A pretty sad record frankly

Sure is, but at least I'm trying. I wont settle to games that only looks like a roguelike. I think it's a big problem with all these 7DRL so-called-roguelikes.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
A pretty sad record frankly

Sure is, but at least I'm trying. I wont settle to games that only looks like a roguelike. I think it's a big problem with all these 7DRL so-called-roguelikes.

I used to think like that, then I started releasing games and obtaining feedback from players, falling into the reality that my almighty design choices were inherently flawed and I knew little about game design. It was only then that I started becoming a real game designer