Author Topic: RL Recommendation?  (Read 18214 times)

AncientToaster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RL Recommendation?
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:37:01 AM »
I've been trying to find a RL that suits me. Got any suggestions? I'm looking for something like this:

1) Must run on an Intel Mac running OS X 10.5
2) Must be able to play without sound
3) Must be playable windowed
4) Be fairly "light," that is, mostly a hack 'n' slash, without too much brainwork

Something like DoomRL would be ideal (or, if anyone knows of a way to run DoomRL on a Mac, that would be even better).

Thanks.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
Re: RL Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:49:38 AM »
POWDER is one of the most portable RLs out there so I am sure it would work out of the box.  It has graphical tiles though.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

AncientToaster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:58:22 AM »
Thanks!

Alternatively, if anyone knows a way to run Sword of Fargoal without sound, that would be awesome.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 11:28:17 PM »
You could also play Crawl SS, in either ascii or tiles.  This is currently got a great development team behind it and is updated often.  It is mostly hack'n'slash but can also become quite tactical but only if you want.

Also you can put your mac query into here http://www.roguetemple.com/irldb/ and select your platform.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

idontexist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Get Out!!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 02:07:33 AM »

1) Must run on an Intel Mac running OS X 10.5
2) Must be able to play without sound
3) Must be playable windowed
4) Be fairly "light," that is, mostly a hack 'n' slash, without too much brainwork

I think that crawl meets these requirements very well. Mabe angband if you like to spend a lot of time grinding.