Author Topic: Do you like your game?  (Read 26779 times)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you like your game?
« on: May 04, 2008, 07:40:40 AM »
If so, what is the thing(s) you like about it?
It's early for me to say, because Kaduria is not in playable condition, but there are many things I like about it:) I guess there is only one thing I don't like: it's not ready:)

JoshuaSmyth

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you like your game?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
I like my game Caverns of Underkeep for the following:

a) I learnt a truckload developing it
b) I got to draw alot of items and monsters, some of which turned out pretty good
and I was definately better at it than in the begining.
c) People say it's fun
d) I made a simple UI for non-roguelike gamers to play

What I dont like about it however is that

a) It takes a little too long to play for a browser based game
b) Theres no way to save your game
c) I keep thinking of things that I would do if I made a new Roguelike and it keeps begging me to be made even though I don't have enough time
d) I don't earn any money from the game
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:52:50 PM by JoshuaSmyth »
www.tinyfrogsoftware.com <- Browser based Roguelike

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
In my abandoned first roguelike, i like the use of sfx/music and graphics/graphics effects; and especially the item/inventory thing: a rifle clip is a rifle clip and not a huge box of 200 bullets. :-)

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:12:21 AM »
If your game is no fun to play for the developer then it probably wont be much fun for anyone else, however I enjoy developing more than playing, I love seeing my ideas come to life.

I loved sewerjacks for a time, as it was unique and I love bloodbowl.  The main reason was that it was short and very challenging, even to me. However apart from the bloodbowl theme it probably lacked atmosphere. 

Warlocks mountain was based on something from my childhood so that gave me inpiration.  It was my first attempt at an atmospheric roguelike, I succeeded to a certain extent but could of done much more.   I liked things like walking up to the mountain and crossing a bridge over a river guarded by an orcish sentry that dropped the key to the entrance, the orcs telling you that you are about to die and then they kill you.

My new game, currently under development, is a complete code rewrite so it is the technical aspects that are driving me, no gameplay yet so I dont know, but I have learnt alot from these initial games so I hope I can build from them.

corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

gerryq

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:57:40 PM »
I like Lair of the Demon Ape - it is still a good challenge for the developer, and I play it sometimes.  I find level 1 too easy and level 2 a bit boring, though. 

I_Own_The_Letter_O

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 03:04:34 PM »
I love my game at the moment. My litter @man walks around the screen in a variety of directions, unhindered by such things as dungeon walls or monsters. He'll be very disappointed when the dungeon generators I'm working on are added to his turn program, he'll have to open doors for himself and everything. Poor little @man.

Gamer_2k4

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »
I actually enjoy my game.  It's the same 10 items and same 10 monsters every time, but I always get a kick out of seeing my game work exactly how I told it to.  I'll walk up to a villager and start up a conversation, and I get to see the different boxes play out just like I programmed (you talk like in Gearhead).  I'll go into the dungeon and I'll see a kobold trying to fend off bears and snakes.  Even if the game itself isn't that spectacular, it's a lot of fun seeing all of your hard work in action.
Gamer_2k4

mariodonick

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • LambdaRogue .:. roguelike RPG
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »
Yes I like LambdaRogue, especially since 0.3.0.1, because since then it is a compact, but fun game. I often play it just for playing, not for developing (but of course, there develop new ideas and "oh it would be cool if I could do
this and that right now, I should implement it).

It is funny - although I develop the thing, I often forget about certain things and am surprised what can happen.
https://mariodonick.itch.io/lambdarogue-the-book-of-stars
-- LR: The Book of Stars graphical roguelike RPG

Valhalla

• Newcomer
  • Headphones <3
    • View Profile
    • Team 3 Software (Coming Soon...)
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 07:22:25 AM »
I love my game, mostly because it's NetHack + 3D interface = Win.

Also, here's an early, eeeeaaarly screenshot that no one else has seen:

http://www.team3soft.com/3dhackscr1.PNG

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 12:13:28 AM »
At the moment I dont have a game, just an incredible mass of code that I am rewriting. I am rewriting every major system from scratch.  Which is stupid because they all worked fine before hand.  However my terrain system is just friggen awsome, so powerful and generallised so there is now no special cases to handle.
Terrain now takes damage and if destroyed reverts to another type of terrain. I.e if a stone wall is destroyed it converts to dirt + rocks.  Flammable terrain can be set on fire, and will take damage over time, it also can set adjacent terrain on fire.  Putting water on the terrain makes it wet and will stop fire, etc.  Putting fire on wet terrain makes steam etc.  Fog, and gasses can drift around.

What I should of done was just concentrate on one thing at a time. I stupidly rewrote terrain, items and monsters at the same time, so now I have lost interest and it doesn't even get close to compiling. *sigh*
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 06:24:06 AM »
I have now actually reached the point where i play cryptrover for fun and not just to test it - although it is still a bit too simple to hold my own interest for more than ~15 mins at a time :p

Luckily a typical cryptrover game takes a third of that and normally ends at the player's death.  Victory can take about 10mins but happen very rarely, even though I know exactly how the game works under the hood.

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 07:04:29 AM »
Do I like CyberRogue?
Yes and no...

Yes, because I'm enjoying making it and testing/playing (more of the former, less of the latter currently) it.

No, because at times I want to just have it sitting there exactly how I imagine it and play it as such.

Part of my problem is my brain works so very fast and my fingers can only type so very slowly (120wpm is slow, right?) so I know it's going to be a month or so before I reach a 0.1.0 stage (what I consider to be a playable base with generated levels, items, monsters, etc...) and I'm "finally happy" with it (Ha! Like that'll ever happen, that's why it's a 0.1.0, there's 0.1.1, 0.1.2, etc. to go!)

Do you ever wish you could attach your brain to a PC and do a brain dump of your game exactly how you want it?
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »
I actually spend a lot more time thinking than typing... The actual typing is a miniscule portion of the time I spent programming.

Quasist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »
I love my game so much that my embrace will leave only optimized code remain.