Author Topic: Arg.  (Read 9885 times)

TrollSlayer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Arg.
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
I suck at roguelikes. I've only made it to about dungeon level 5 in Nethack. It probably doesn't help that I hate Nethack's gameplay. In fact, I was just about to quit roguelikes... until I discovered the granddaddy of all roguelikes, Rogue. I've been playing it on Hexatron for some time now, and I'm hooked. As I said, I suck at roguelikes. So when I made it all the way to level 8, it was a big deal for me. Until I got stuck between an orc and a rattlesnake, forgot to check my HP total, and... well, you know the story. Suffice it to say that I never made it to level 9.

My next play, I was still doing really well. I had made it to level 5 or 6 and cleared the entire level. I had hundreds of GP. Then I forgot to equip my plate mail and my ring, and descended the staircase. And promptly hit a treasure room. I even survived 2 more turns before dying. I read an unidentified scroll: it was a scroll of identify. I identified one of my potions: it was a potion of healing. Then the monsters got to go. 1 HP left. 0 GP left. I stupidly read a scroll instead of drinking a potion. My armor glowed a bright blue. Then I hit rigor mortis. Another Rogue bit the dust. With 0 GP. To add insult to injury, I got the "the graveyard isn't for paupers" message.

ARGHH!

The next two games, I got creamed on level 3 and 2, respectively. So I've got two questions for you guys:

1. When do I read scrolls and drink potions and zap wands to identify? Virtually everything I had was unidentified when I went down the fatal staircase.
2. Is there a really, really, easy roguelike? :P

EDIT: Immediately after writing this post, I played another game of rogue. Creamed on level 1, room 1 by a Hobgoblin, with 1 gold. At least I didn' t die a pauper this time. And then I played another one. And died on room 1, level 1 by an Emu, of all things. A pauper.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:53:42 PM by TrollSlayer »

XLambda

• Rogueliker
    • MSN Messenger - tau_iota@live.de
    • View Profile
    • The Weird Rogue
Re: Arg.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
I suck at roguelikes. I've only made it to about dungeon level 5 in Nethack. It probably doesn't help that I hate Nethack's gameplay. In fact, I was just about to quit roguelikes... until I discovered the granddaddy of all roguelikes, Rogue. I've been playing it on Hexatron for some time now, and I'm hooked. As I said, I suck at roguelikes. So when I made it all the way to level 8, it was a big deal for me. Until I got stuck between an orc and a rattlesnake, forgot to check my HP total, and... well, you know the story. Suffice it to say that I never made it to level 9.

My next play, I was still doing really well. I had made it to level 5 or 6 and cleared the entire level. I had hundreds of GP. Then I forgot to equip my plate mail and my ring, and descended the staircase. And promptly hit a treasure room. I even survived 2 more turns before dying. I read an unidentified scroll: it was a scroll of identify. I identified one of my potions: it was a potion of healing. Then the monsters got to go. 1 HP left. 0 GP left. I stupidly read a scroll instead of drinking a potion. My armor glowed a bright blue. Then I hit rigor mortis. Another Rogue bit the dust. With 0 GP. To add insult to injury, I got the "the graveyard isn't for paupers" message.

ARGHH!

The next two games, I got creamed on level 3 and 2, respectively. So I've got two questions for you guys:

1. When do I read scrolls and drink potions and zap wands to identify? Virtually everything I had was unidentified when I went down the fatal staircase.
2. Is there a really, really, easy roguelike? :P

EDIT: Immediately after writing this post, I played another game of rogue. Creamed on level 1, room 1 by a Hobgoblin, with 1 gold. At least I didn' t die a pauper this time. And then I played another one. And died on room 1, level 1 by an Emu, of all things. A pauper.

Heh, everyone has to start somewhere. It was the same for me. I think the deepest level I ever reached in NH was 26 or 27 (but I don't play it much nowadays). So be aware that this may not necessarily be the best advice out there, but it worked for me.

1) A lot of stuff unidentified? Completely normal when you start. Me, I just use stuff on low-level monsters. Throwing potions at them is huge fun. And if it is a beneficial potion, at least it's not something that can rip your head off (though this may depend on your character). Okay, the stuff may have been wasted that way, but it's not that important when you start. Things may look different a few levels farther down. Most of the time, I bump into the same stuff later in the game, when I really need it. I don't know what the pro's do, but I prefer not to test stuff on myself. Just in case it's a Potion of "Trolling the Player".  ;D

2) Easy to win, or easy to understand? For the latter one, I can recommend DoomRL. Huge fun, loads of blood. Not 100% pure RL (it does have space marines instead of Elf Wizards ::)), but very easy to get into. Easy to win.. is rather uncommon. I can't think of one right now.

Legend

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:09:29 AM »
I can recommend DoomRL. Huge fun, loads of blood. Not 100% pure RL (it does have space marines instead of Elf Wizards ), but very easy to get into. Easy to win.. is rather uncommon. I can't think of one right now.

I keep hearing that it's easy to win. I've been playing it for a couple years now and still haven't won once. Only have a handful of badges unlocked. Still very fun though.

Not really "easy", but if you like Rogue, I suggest you also try out MAG. It has a very similar play style to Rogue but with a couple tweaks. Try ClassicRogue and MAGHD from Donnie Russel's website. He made some wonderful windows ports with nice little touches like sound fx. Also has flash versions and Rogue for GBA and DS.

http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:13:58 AM by Legend »

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:42:19 AM »
DoomRL was easy when it was first released. Then it got harder, but it does have difficulty levels though.

If you want to win a roguelike then try Jeff Laits You Only Live Once. www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce/

or of course you can play the game I named after you, http://users.adam.com.au/savre/#Troll%20Slayer which I actually dont know if you can win, incidentally.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
A quest too far is one of my favourite coffee break roguelikes. It's not easy at a first glance but things change once you understand what's going on; actually I win at least 1 game out of 2.

http://www.randomstuff.org.uk/~geoffrey/roguelikes/aquesttoofar.html
http://www.randomstuff.org.uk/~geoffrey/roguelikes/AQuestTooFar1.3-091010.zip
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

TrollSlayer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:36:09 PM »
Oh, I see. If you throw a potion at a monster, it's as if the monster quaffed it?

Ha, DoomRL looks awesome! I'll try to get the thing working on my computer. *mutters under breath* Darn Linux inaccessibility. Thanks for all the other coffeebreak roguelikes, as well! I'll make sure to try them all.

By the way, does strength ever replenish in Rogue? (oh, wait. Never mind. A potion of replenish strength. Hit me with a stupid stick.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:44:26 PM by TrollSlayer »

Pteriforever

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »
Yeah. I've never won any of the 5 major roguelikes. I have won XirrelaiRPG, which is an utter crap game I made myself, and Numbers, which requires zero strategy.

I did get *this* close to winning ToME, though.

Out of the other roguelikes I've played, I'm absolutely hopeless at Anquestria -- It takes an order of magnitude longer to create a character than it does to play it -- and Adventurer has no win condition.