Author Topic: wilderness generation  (Read 8603 times)

hawk66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
wilderness generation
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
So, I need a more or less realistic 'wilderness' generator for my rl. I have found this article http://www.elderlore.com/en/tag/wilderness-generation, which is quite interesting.

Does anybody know a more detailed article about this topic / any coding examples?

I'm using libtcod, so I think I have a look at the heightmap-generator there...

Thx.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: wilderness generation
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:05:32 AM »
So, I need a more or less realistic 'wilderness' generator for my rl.

What is realistic in this context? What you actually need is great looking maps. Don't limit your thinking to the usual algorithms that produce some kind of generic boring maps. The algorithm should only help in the process and not become a limiting factor.

hawk66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:09:55 AM »
With realistic I mean no fantasy setting and that stuff.

In the end, the map generator should support generating maps for different climate/regional zones (like deserts, rain forest)

hawk66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:16:05 PM »

rsaarelm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
found a good article:
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/

I'm looking at the same thing. Figured I'd try to do something similar, spent two weeks fighting with a Voronoi graph generator algorithm. Finally got something together, then started thinking how I would be transforming the Voronoi graph into terrain tiles and all the vector rasterization bugs that would bring.

Then I realized that if all the map polygons are uniform hexagons, that's just a special case of the Voronoi graph, but now I can hardcode all the edge geometry instead of relying on tricky and error-prone arbitrary shapes, and still use the rest of the neat stuff from the Amit article.

hawk66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:52:47 AM »
In the meantime, I think the greater challenge is to generate not the basic terrain but to generate an interesting map (placing forests, roads, small towns and of course all customizable).

I have a modern RL setting, so no fantasy stuff.

So if anybody could share some ideas, links I'd be happy.