Author Topic: Language for new Roguelike  (Read 6169 times)

Aggnavarius

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Language for new Roguelike
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
So I'm starting a new roguelike, and planning to include sound and tiles. My first instinct is to use visual c++, since graphics and sound are not to difficult to include, and I'm experienced in c++.

I was just checking to see if people thought this was a good choice. I'm also hoping that the finished product will be usable in Wine.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
Re: Language for new Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »
You should probably use platform independent libraries, SDL etc. Maybe use libtcod library.  Some people find my games hard to use on wine or could not be bothered.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Kyzrati

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:54:05 AM »
C++ is great for roguelikes--both object oriented and fast. Going with what you already know is always a plus, too :)

In my experience you won't get a lot of Linux users who'd actually use it in Wine, though; generally only those who *really really* want to play your game would do that. Compile a Linux version if you want to satisfy that crowd. So like corremn says: go with a library. WinAPI sucks, anyway. Use SDL if you want more versatility and are willing to do a bit more work, and libtcod if you just want to actually produce something in a reasonable amount of time.

7h30n

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »
I would recommend C++ and SDL api. You can check out my roguelike done that way, it has tiles, animations, sounds and even original music! (Link in my signature).
Current project: Into the Dungeon++