Author Topic: New CyberPunk RogueLike  (Read 39722 times)

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
Feedback Release
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 05:56:11 AM »
I've made a release of my current code - Windows only (Console only works on Windows, wCurses doesn't like me - I'll add curses support at a later date) - on my blog below.
This is not a "final" or "beta" release by any stretch of the imagination, it's a feedback release. Before I go too far, I'd like to hear what people think "so far" - constructive criticism happily accepted. A lot of things are currently hard coded (movement on number keys, "p" for message log, "Escape" to exit and save)
More information - ish
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

makkE

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: New CyberPunk RogueLike
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »
I gave it a quick look.
I like what I see, the way you set up the screen is nice.
The only thing I find aesthetically unpleasant is the message box on top - you should complete the frame (top line).. The blue backround is pretty aggressive imho, and doesn´t fit well to the green in the stats stuff. Why not simply have it black?
Also, I would personally have the message box on the lower end of the screen, and stats/playing field on top.

Anyhow, good luck with this, and thank you for going ascii instead of some silly looking tiles :D (just my personal opinion here).
Looking forward to future developement!

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 07:50:16 AM »
The layout (details) are liable to change, as I've implemented all the stats/secondary stats that are in the system I want to use - and I'm not entirely sure all of them will be of use.

Currently the message box has 3 lines of text. I understand what you mean by "finished" and that capability is definitely there, but to me it looks like a pull down/autohide dock type thing. I'll have a play with it and see how it looks. Colours are definitely liable to change, most of them are placeholders so I can see how different things work and there is the possibility of making them user-choosable - I thought the blue looked vaguely "glowy", like a screen, but it might need to be pulled out to the outline to look better (or black all over)

Stats/playing field on top, messages on bottom - reminds me of Crawl (flip the stats/playing field over though), so definitely wouldn't hurt. Due to being in development, a lot of these things are in flux, and it's nice to have some feedback. :)

I probably have many, many long term plans and ideas, but not all of them will come to fruition!

Scautura
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 08:45:48 PM »
I'm replying to myself again... I must be mad!

r35 is now available - Linux support included (but there may be some issues - my curses-fu is weak), inventory management is getting there (pick-up/drop/throw... Well, you can state you want to throw something, but it won't go anywhere)

A lot of the things I'm doing are probably hack-ish, but I'm on a "monster" machine, so please give me some feedback as to speed - the funny thing I find is it actually runs faster on Linux/curses than on Windows/Console. It's relatively slow at the moment because of the generated flares that are lit (the lighting is processed for each one every "turn" so slows everything down) so I do know it's slow - next version will be faster, I promise!

And yes, I know there's a bug where if you load a game, your stats don't show up. Fixed in r36, along with the version number.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:53:08 PM by Scautura »
CyberRogue

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
CyberRogue Release r41
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 08:20:10 PM »
I still feel bad bumping my own posts and replying to myself, but...

r41 is now available - working firearms (no autotarget yet, but I'll give it a go - don't want you autotargetting the nearest monster and you can't even see it! It's enough to know where it is once you've lit an area up and it moves), working melee weapons. There are skills implemented, but currently you can't see the effect of them (suffice to say that all skills are 0 for every (N)PC, but the PC has dodge at level 2, just to help them out)

Next up is armour - note that you can wear more than one piece of armour that covers a certain area (e.g. a trenchcoat will cover body, legs and arms, an armoured shirt will cover body and arms, trousers will cover groin and legs, and so on) but layers won't be cumulative. Armour that is close to another's stopping power will be closer to cumulative, but something that is strong layered with something that is weak won't make much difference (e.g. a padded shirt and a leather trenchcoat will provide much better stopping power than either item individually, but a flak vest over a padded shirt will pretty much just provide the stopping power of the vest)
I suppose this also helps with different types of ammunition/weapon (piercing/blunt/etc), and who knows. Dropping an incendiary at the feet of someone in something flammable is always fun! :) (In game you fool, I'm not talking real life!!!)
CyberRogue