Author Topic: 4DRL Success! Zombie Swarm  (Read 7259 times)

linux_junkie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
4DRL Success! Zombie Swarm
« on: October 16, 2010, 03:03:33 AM »
Technically, it's a 2DRL success, and a rather fine one, I think.  The link to download is here:
https://sites.google.com/site/zombieswarmindex/download

So far, I only have windows and 64 bit linux binaries, and the source code available.  Any bug reports or criticism is very welcome.  The game features a high score chart, saved to an external file for your leisure, and has fast-paced gameplay.

So, tell me what you think!

kipar

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 4DRL Success! Zombie Swarm
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 05:33:53 AM »
First of all, congratulations!
It seems to be a nice game, but after reading your entry I thought that it will be turn based, so i'm slightly disappoint - there are plenty of such flash games, the only difference of this one is lack of graphics.
Also it runs very slow (almost like a slideshow) on my AMD 1.8Ghz, so I can't test gameplay fully.
I suggest you to make Esc exits from help menu as current exit (a little cross in a corner) isn't evident.

linux_junkie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
Thanks for trying it.  As for the speed issues, what kind of video card do you have?  Do you have OpenGL installed?

The escape key exiting the menu should be no problem to add, thanks for the advice.

kipar

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 06:16:30 PM »
My videocard is crappy (exact model is SiS M760GX), but still supports opengl. Imho problem isn't in video - game runs fast sometimes, at moments when most zombies dead or when no zombies on the screen, and runs especially slow when new wave just started and when allies shooting (even if I don't see it).
    By the way it seems that Close command broken - or maybe splashes of blood prevent doors from closing. If I build barricades on the blood tiles they become invisible (I can see them only in mutagenic radiance or grenade splash). Allies can spawn in walls (don't know does it make them invincible) and can lock you staying in a doorway.
The best tactic seems to be staying at house and shooting to the door (It's even better if your allies are locking the door). I've got to wave 12 even in slideshow-mode, then the game crashed.
    To nerf this easy tactic I suggest to make doors\walls destroyable by zombies, and slightly modify their AI, so they won't form a column always they are going to you.

linux_junkie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
Hmm... It must be the AI that's slowing it down, then.  I might have to rewrite it in C++, and bind it to Lua.
I'll look into the close command bug, should be an easy fix.
I already fixed the ally spawning problems, and posted the new version with a few other bug fixes on the site.
Yeah, I'll definitely need to rewrite the AI, both for speed, and to fix some undesirable behavior.  Thanks again for the bug reports.  As always, it was hugely appreciated.  I figure for a 2 day project, some bugs are bound to be present, and the sooner I can iron them out, the better.

Nikolai

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
I'm keenly interested in giving this game a try.  Is there any way to download it from a place that doesn't require my PayPal information, especially since it threatens to charge me if I forget about the account?