Author Topic: My 3D Rougelike  (Read 10548 times)

Another_Mr_Lizard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
My 3D Rougelike
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »
Hi, I'm working on a 3D action rougelike game at the moment. I started a development blog (more as a technical journal than anything else), and you can see screenshots of how it looks at the moment.
http://apotheosisthegame.wordpress.com/
At the moment I'm working on designing the fundamental gameplay mechanics, and trying to successfully synthesize what makes rougelikes unique with a more action oriented style of interaction (i.e not turn-based). It's very early days at the moment, but I'd really appreciate any feedback or suggestions anyone has, especially about preserving the essence of what makes rougelikes so hatefully fantastic.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: My 3D Rougelike
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
Looking promising so far---keep at it!
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Another_Mr_Lizard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:11:17 PM »
Looking promising so far---keep at it!
Thanks !

I would like to apologize for the fact that I rather embarrassingly misspelled rouguelike throughout my original post.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
There is no need to apologize; that happens all of the time. In fact, it happens so often that a spam bot that tried to sell us cosmetics.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:21:51 AM »
Looks nice.  Are the graphics tied in with the dungeon generation? Or can you pass a generic dungeon to the graphics backend and have it rendered for you?

What I am getting at is can someone else use your graphics back end for their roguelike project? ;D
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »
Cool, original and promising, I hope you keep going on it!
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Another_Mr_Lizard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »
What I am getting at is can someone else use your graphics back end for their roguelike project? ;D
[/quote]

The dungeons are generated, and are basically a 2d array of either floor or stone tiles. Then a series of query/replacement rules are applied to swap out groups of tiles that meet certain criteria with models that represent architectural features.
The rules also generate collision data and such.
So, to answer your question, it's totally abstracted from the process of actually generating the dungeon structure and would, hopefully, be of use as a system in it's own right.
I'm thinking it would be really cool to refactor the code into a framework for adding 3d graphics to rougelikes. Gameplay logic could be plugged in as a dll or something.
All the assets are defined in a text file, so it would be trivial for a hypothetical reprogrammer to add in their own assets.
I can foresee the codebase becoming less flexible as things like character animation and UI are added.
At the moment though, my only concern is getting the damn thing out the door some time this century. Making it into a tool can happen after it's released.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:54:11 PM »

The dungeons are generated, and are basically a 2d array of either floor or stone tiles. Then a series of query/replacement rules are applied to swap out groups of tiles that meet certain criteria with models that represent architectural features.
The rules also generate collision data and such.
So, to answer your question, it's totally abstracted from the process of actually generating the dungeon structure and would, hopefully, be of use as a system in it's own right.
I'm thinking it would be really cool to refactor the code into a framework for adding 3d graphics to rougelikes. Gameplay logic could be plugged in as a dll or something.
All the assets are defined in a text file, so it would be trivial for a hypothetical reprogrammer to add in their own assets.
I can foresee the codebase becoming less flexible as things like character animation and UI are added.
At the moment though, my only concern is getting the damn thing out the door some time this century. Making it into a tool can happen after it's released.

[/quote]

http://www.roguetemple.com/z/noteye.php   This is probably a thing to check out in terms of adding/messing about with "dimensions" for Roguelikes in general.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
  • Im in ur rougeliekz, pixelling ur tielz!
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 09:16:35 PM »
Wow!

So far sounds very cool. Which perspective will it be played from?
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

TSMI

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 01:27:57 AM »
OP is your name by any chance from that "Mr. Lizard" sketch on.. Jam I think it was? If so - LOL, I absolutely love that one.