Author Topic: Roguelike: Gabriel alpha version released  (Read 8444 times)

neotec

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Roguelike: Gabriel alpha version released
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:18:15 AM »
Hello fellow dungeon-crawlers.

First: This isn't the announcement of a release, but of a coming release.

Ever since I've started programming (I started about 20 years ago) I wanted to program a game. My only problem: I'm a horrible graphician. Well, someday I discovered roguelikes ... and I loved 'em. Random content, simple (or no) graphics ... just my kind of genre.

And now I'm announcing the coming release of my first roguelike (and game): Gabriel.

Story: It's settled in a post-apocalyptic environment, so you will encounter mutants, hi-/ and lo-tech items/weaponry. I don't want to reveal to much of the story yet, but this is a short version of it:
After the devastation of the earth (I think nuclear ... but I'm not sure yet), man mutated. It's a horrible life and mankind is about to get exterminated. Once in a while, a 'positive-mutant' is born, who is called 'Gabriel' in the old legends. A 'Gabriel' is the only one who can enter the 'inverted-tower' of the legendary 'insanely-genious' scientists, who discovered a solution to mankind's problems.
Guess what ... you're the Gabriel, and you have to fight your way down the tower to discover the scientists dicoveries.

Development platform: Java, no other dependencies.
Gabriel uses my own scripting language which I ported to java about a year ago, and a 'fast-enough' console emulation (also written by me) using Java's AWT. (A typical screen refresh takes about 4ms on my 2.4GHz CPU).

Game design: Your character has a few simple stats: health, psi (some sort of mana), anger, hunger, melee-(and range)hit/critical/evasion chance. You are allowed to equip 4 kinds of weapons(knives, swords, pistols, rifles) and 5 kinds of armor(head, chest, hands, legs, feet).
You don't gain XP by killing monsters. As you are a mutant, and you're killing mutants, you have to consume the corpses of your enemies to help you mutate further. Consuming corpses also restores some health and hunger.
When enemies hit you, they make you angry .. and if your anger level is up to 100%, you fall into some kind of rage, which boosts your melee abilities (accuracies and damage) and restores health over time.
You don#t have any stat points to distribute on a level up, but you will get skill points, which you can distribute on various 'psi-abilities', like psi-shield, invisibility, and useful attacks.

The main reason why I announce the coming release of Gabriel here, is to keep me working on the project. It really makes fun to develop it, and I don't want to abandon it.

I will release a playable alpha version, as soon as I have added the 'save-bytecode' feature to my scripting language (this shouldn't take long).

There's still a lot to do, but the basis is nearly finished.

You can view my latest progress reports and game screenshots/videos on my blog: http://cetone.wordpress.com/

I really hope that Gabriel sounds interesting to some of you ... and maybe you can encourage me to release a v1.0.0 someday :)

Thanks for watching.

René (Neotec)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:58:47 PM by neotec »

Chex Warrior

• Rogueliker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cacodaemonical
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Roguelike: Gabriel
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:14:58 AM »
I will encourage you to release it... release it!
Always room for more roguelikes and post-apocalyptic ones at that.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:39:21 AM »
Welcome to Roguetemple neotec and thanks for dropping by!   8)

Your game sounds very interesting, and your technical achievements also rather nifty---cons2cod might be of interest to you console wise and the only other "creation" I know of on the other front is the work being done currently on the Roguelike Incursion as per the latest news update.

I certainly encourage you to work this all the way through---the theme is a very under-represented one in the Roguelike world in the grand scheme of things.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Nolithius

• Newcomer
  • Ebyan "Nolithius" Alvarez-Buylla
    • View Profile
    • Nolithius.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:03:28 PM »
Hey neotec,

The best thing you can do for yourself is release an early build. Right now.

Releasing early has some benefits:

1. Puts you out there in people's radar better than a forum post ever could ;)
2. Makes you accountable for your work, that is, to fix problems, answer questions, and provide further releases.
3. Decreases the amount of time you may waste on unnecessary features, if a release is overdue.
4. Decreases the likelihood of your project becoming vaporware, with motivation from the community.
5. Allows you to prioritize which features to implement next, through player feedback.
6. Allows you to solve problems in ways you hadn't thought of, through player feedback.
7. Free testing, through player feedback.

Do it!

Ebyan "Nolithius" Alvarez-Buylla
http://www.nolithius.com

neotec

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »
Yep, you're right. I will implement the binary saves for my scripting language today or tomorrow, then I will release an alpha version. (I just don't want to submit my scripts in plain text :) )

So, there may be a playable version (without menus/intro/...) available until this weekend.

neotec

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
Alpha version is available for download: http://cetone.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/playable-alpha-version-available/

Should run hopefuly on every OS where Java 1.6 is (correctly) installed by simply double-clicking the gabriel.jar file. If not use 'java -jar gabriel.jar' from a console/terminal.

(Sorry for double-posting)

Edit: I've forgotten to list some keys in the readme:
',' & '.' let you scroll thruogh the messages, ';', ':' jumps to begining/end of messages
TAB cycles through targets when in target mode
ALT+ENTER toggles fake fullscreen (currently with integer scaling, fractional scaling may later be enabled from the config menu)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:09:46 PM by neotec »

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike: Gabriel alpha version released
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »
Congrats on the first alpha release and no worries about the double posting in such a case.   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

neotec

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »
I just want to inform you of a new alpha release (v0.0.19 so far). It looks more like the final version now: Title screen, configuration, custom keybindings, new themes.
Still it only generates random levels using random themes without any deeper meaning or storyline and it just has three different kind of monsters ... but it's getting closer to the game I want it to be with every release :)
Can't await it myself to play the final (ehem ... or nearly-final) version :D

If anybody discovers bugs feel free to post them here ... and check out the blog for updates.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
Heh, good job on the quick jump ahead neotec!   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training