Author Topic: 3D roguelike in ASCII (modern-set)  (Read 10920 times)

hawk66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
3D roguelike in ASCII (modern-set)
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:04:51 PM »
Hi guys,

basically, I have the idea for a modern-set roguelike. In principal, some crew members of a shot down military aircraft have to survive until they get rescued. So, they have to travel until they reach a destination point, from which they can be rescued. Sometimes they have to fight, but stealth is more important and not all civilians shall be hostile (so that country is occupied).

The world shall be consisting of a typical European landscape...that is, grass, lakes, rivers, small villages, mountains, different vegetation (due to the tactical combat).

My biggest headache is how to create such a 2,5D/3D world in ASCII...I think 2D is not sufficient, since combat shall be tactical.

Any ideas?

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: 3D roguelike in ASCII (modern-set)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »
An expression of horror grips Fenrir's lupine face, and he bounds toward hawk66. His claws click furiously against the stone floors as he shoves the unwitting acolyte behind one of the massive pillars supporting the high temple ceiling. The monstrous wolf presses his massive nose into hawk66's chest and speaks in a hushed tone.

Listen well! You're obviously new here, so I'm going to give you some advice.

Fenrir takes his nose off hawk66 and sticks his head around the pillar. The hall is quiet and dimly lit by the burning torches that are fixed to each pillar. The flickering light occasionally pierces into the darker corners and momentarily reveals the mysterious, hooded figures that shuffle about the shadows and commit unknown actions. The great wolf peers up and down the hall. A few robed figures walk through the hall, only stopping to talk with one another for a few moments before leaving through the massive archway into the bleak landscape beyond. No one appears to have noticed yet.

Fenrir pulls his head back and pins hawk66 to the pillar again.

Remember this: no one wants to hear about what you intend to do. If you talk about it and you have done nothing, no one will take it well, especially─

Fenrir shudders.

─especially Krice. It rhymes with "nice," but he can be quite the opposite at times. Ironic, no? We wouldn't have him any other way. He tells it like it is, and sometimes the truth stings a little. "Krice" also rhymes with "rice," but I don't know yet if that means anything. It also rhymes with "lice," and "ice," and "mice," and...

The monstrous wolf flicks his ears.

Anyway, I digress. Now, where were we? Oh, yes. No one wants to hear about what you are going to do. Why? Everyone has great ideas ─ everyone ─ but very few will actually make those ideas into something. If you tell us what your fabulous ideas, you won't do it. I guarantee it. No, it's not "jinxing" it; telling us just demonstrates that you don't understand how things work. You have no idea how much work it would take to do what you have proposed.

The happiest I've ever been are those times when I did something and expected nothing. The saddest I've ever been are those times when I expected everything and did nothing.

Fenrir releases hawk66 and steps back.

Take it from someone who learned this lesson─

The great wolf looks down at his toes. The furry digits twitch in succession as he counts under his breath.

─three times.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »
Well, I'm always ill-advised to chime in on these matters, and it would probably be a longshot, but, I would say it might be good to wait/investigate Sharplike as it develops further.  http://oss.largerussiangames.com/

From the thread in the Announcements board, it was the first thing that popped into my head as something that might be capable of the tricky feat you're after...
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:16:55 AM »
Fenrir winces with apparent pain and disgust.

Review of your previous posts seems to imply that you're not the clueless noob I had first suspected. Apologies.

This game uses 3D rendered in ASCII: http://www.mx-3.cz/tringi/www/langen.php?id=shootem&submenu=1 There is no source available, but maybe you can contact the developer about it: http://www.mx-3.cz/tringi/www/langen.php?id=kontakt
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:11:47 PM by Fenrir »

hawk66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »

This game uses 3D rendered in ASCII: http://www.mx-3.cz/tringi/www/langen.php?id=shootem&submenu=1 There is no source available, but maybe you can contact the developer about it: http://www.mx-3.cz/tringi/www/langen.php?id=kontakt

Thx for this link...will check it out^^

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »
Fenrir, you gotta get yourself a copy of NWN Diamond and work all this emoting out of your system. :)

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
I don't have a problem; I can quit any time I want!

Fenrir's left eye twitches.