Author Topic: Searching for similar roguelike  (Read 8969 times)

Ace2187

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Searching for similar roguelike
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:15:43 AM »
The first roguelike I played was ragnarok. I recently downloaded it, beat it again and for the last few days I've been looking for a replacement. Things I liked about it were that it used tiles rather than ASCII, it had lots of options as far as scrolls, spells etc, and that it had a combination of open world and somewhat closed dungeons. I tried LambdaRogue and was somewhat disappointed to see that the dungeon was so closed. Anyway I was hoping that someone would have some advice on what I should try next.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for similar roguelike
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »
Hmm...maybe some of the Angband variants?  IIRC, Hengband was popular in this respect and had a tile option.  Perhaps ToME(4?)?  Dungeonmans also seems like it might go in that direction as it rolls further onward.

Wilderness/dungeon mixes are tough to come by outside of ADOM, and Tile supporting to boot, as probably the most popular one.  Though....have you tried Elona?  It is heavily inspired by ADOM, but utterly graphical/quite insane.

Peleron's Brilliant Rebirth should eventually fit well into this niche when the dev is much farther along....

CastlevaniaRL?  

I'll keep wracking my brain....
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Ace2187

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:13:37 AM »
Thank you. I'll try some of these out.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:41:53 AM »
Maybe IVAN? Although it has not much outside dungeons.

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »
Hey buddy, this might be a little late, but Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has some great tilesets available. Although it's ascii by default, you can easily change this, and DCSS is one of the best roguelikes out there. The only thing it lacks is an overworld, which in the case of Crawl I think is a plus.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:51:32 PM »
I'm even later, but I now have what is probably an even better suggestion---though hilarious in that it wasn't one of my first ones despite helping out with it somewhat--- the Kamyran's Eye series!    Graphical, lots to consider, and definitely has a wilderness/dungeon mix.    8)

http://keye2.phk.at/    The first game also now has an enhance Droid port, with the enchancements due to migrate back to the PC end at some point...you can pretty much piece things together onsite.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training