Author Topic: your favorite roguelike  (Read 27387 times)

Metoollhead

• Acolyte
    • View Profile
Re: your favorite roguelike
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »
Mine would have to be ADOM, Spelunky, and DoomRL.

pat

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:49 PM »
it's always been nethack. I've played a lot of adom and dabbled mostly with the *bands, IVAN, dwarf fortress, and crawl (mostly pre-stone soup), but nothing compares to nethack.

It's depressing to think that I've been playing rogue/hack/nethack on and off for over 20 years and have ascended a grand total of... once.

EDIT: wait!! I forgot about Incursion! Incursion blows me away already, and when the final version comes out, it's going to ruin my life.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:50:46 AM by pat »

Vanguard

• Protector of the @
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2009, 11:03:56 PM »
Oh yeah, incursion is awesome.  I think it'll be the next big "thing" in roguelikes.  I don't play it much yet because it's still a bit too buggy for me.  My best character is just kind of stuck because once I get to a certain point in the dungeon it just crashes.

They also make it way too hard to be good on their morality axis.  I don't have a problem with good being something harder to attain than evil, but you have to be such a pansy pushover doormat with every single encounter because apparently if you get ambushed by a monster that is purely and inherently evil, it's bad to defend yourself with lethal force.

rz.berry

• Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2010, 04:30:45 AM »
Crawl all day, baby.
I used to tear up some NetHack, but after DCSS everything else pales in comparison. I'm trying to broaden my RL horizons though; I've tried nearly every game available but haven't gotten far into but a handful of them.

sausage

• Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »
Crawl, Dwarf Fortress, and Mage Guild are my favorites.

I fallen away from DF as it doesn't have magic, and barely has fire, both of which I love. (I was purely a mage in Fable, and I never play anything but a caster in DnD/Crawl

Colstar

• Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
Some great recommendations here, will have to check them out.  :)