Author Topic: Land of Strangers #11 (Mercury Bubblegum)  (Read 133 times)

AgingMinotaur

• Protector of the @
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
Land of Strangers #11 (Mercury Bubblegum)
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:04:05 PM »
LAND OF STRANGERS
alpha open weird wild west fantasy cowboy RL

Get yer downloads here!

Released: Version 11 (Mercury Bubblegum)

This is an interim release of LoSt, preceding a hefty rewrite of some of the systems. I wanted to start refactoring from a clean cut, so to speak, so I'm publishing what I have to date. In other words, LoSt is still in alpha. Compared to #10, this version contains some bug fixes and a bit of content. The most spectacular feature is perhaps that you can now gain followers by choosing the "Populist" shtick.

Comments are always appreciated, on appropriate forum threads, per email, or you can fill out the in-game survey that I added as an experimental feature in this version. It'll be interesting to see whether that garners any response, and if I can use it to guide and motivate further development.

As always,
Minotauros

CHANGELOG
BUG: Couldn't pick up lead slugs when pockets were full
BUG: Buggy inventory interface if pockets were empty
BUG: Critters turned invisible when spending props
BUG: Could see through walls at certain angles
BUG: (Serious) bug that made game pick invalid kits
BUG: Bug that printed nonexisting plants and obstacles
BUG: Spitting bush had forgot how to spit
BUG: Some instances of NPCs getting stuck repeating one action
BUG: Crashed because game tried to draw outside the screen
GAME: Player can now start with up to two shticks
GAME: Some props can be used directly from inventory (experimental)
GAME: Prompt to abort extended actions when hostiles enter line of sight
GAME: Commandline options to set world seed
GAME: Scrollable menus (needs polish, but should work ;)
GAME: Cleaned up the log area a bit
GAME: Can save multiple characters in the same world
GAME: Default field of vision now set to 11
CONTENT: Renamed "derringer" as "pepperbox gun"
CONTENT: Fleshed out animal species a bit
CONTENT: Weapon prefixes
CONTENT: Added some skills, props, places and critters
CONTENT: Backstory generator now spits out terser texts
AI: Added more bias switches: annoy, please, exalt
AI: Action calculation for fields of battle plants should be quicker
AI: Gain followers (experimental)
AI: Most beings now set to stay at home or roam their native region
AI: Toolwielders now better at choosing their weapon
VAR: Added an in-game survey
VAR: Various tweaks and fixes

Edit: Download links
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:46:18 AM by AgingMinotaur »
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Avagart

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Strangers #11 (Mercury Bubblegum)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
Nice, congrats for new release! I didn't play LoSt for a longer while, so maybe I won't notice some changes... But OK, let's write some gameplay diary :D

- In the description of Dilettante there is "Guaranteed skills" written, without any other info; due to name of that background, I think taht Dillettante doesn't have any special skills? So this text seems unnecessary
- Placeholder for Swordfighter background includes TODO info
- Sometimes icons of keyboard shortcuts are displayed wrongly
- There are structures that really looks like buildings, yay!
- Working shops, yay!^2
- But sometimes the display of new kind of walls seems a bit glitcher. OK, it happens also for old structures, but - maybe due colors - is less conspicuous
- Using all skills takes whole turn to activate? It's strange in some cases, like sprinting. It's like, I can move away from that animal... But I can't run away! It's weird.
- Sometimes new layer of info overwrites the old one, without panel refresh
- Tumbleweeds are awesome!
- It's nice to see how shopkeeper that killed me, become dead due to bear attack :D
- some small typos in '?'help screen; some lines ends by dot, some not; on the third line, ',' should be placed after '.', not before; similar thing for the last line; comma after '9' (Quick choose from current menu) is unnecessary
- not sure about that, but it seems that enemies, unlike player, do not have to correct, uhm, line of sight to attack
- regarding to changelog: why rename derringer to pepperbox? Maybe it's worth to keep both? ;)

In general, I'm content with that release, it's good to see new content and mechanics added. And, man, I'm sorry, I feel terrible when I'm reporting issues, it's like, don't know, sort of discouragement. I hope you don't feel it in that way :)

edit: I was trying to use in-game survey, but I encountered error. Don't know what, message didn't specify that. It happened when I pressed 'send answers' option. Could you add possibility to copy the comment to the clipboard?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:13:57 PM by Avagart »

AgingMinotaur

• Protector of the @
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:40:26 PM »
Yay, comments!

- In the description of Dilettante there is "Guaranteed skills" written
You're right. Removing it, as you suggest, is probably the simplest solution. It was meant to reflect (a bit jokingly) that dilettantes start with two completely random skills, in contrast to the other careers, who each has one guaranteed skill and another skill chosen randomly from the same area/skilltree.

Placeholder for Swordfighter background includes TODO info
Sometimes icons of keyboard shortcuts are displayed wrongly
Heh, my apologies. There's always some pieces that get left (more or less completely) unpolished :-[ ::) Those PgUp/PgDn buttons turned out particularly badly because I was very clumsy inserting them into the existing UI. Hopefully fixed within a release or two (and surely with new, unpolished featured added).

sometimes the display of new kind of walls seems a bit glitcher. OK, it happens also for old structures, but - maybe due colors - is less conspicuous
This annoys the hell out of me, as well, and has been particularly frustrating to get working, because of two facts taken together: A. the player is allowed to scale to any resolution, and B. it's on a hexagonal grid. Making tiles that scale perfectly has just proven a bigger task than I can handle. On the long todo-list is to dump this feature and just offer several fixed resolutions (from tiny to huge), and have separate spritesheets for each resolution. That way, I would be able to make all angles fit perfectly, because it would be pregenerated as opposed to scaled during runtime.

Using all skills takes whole turn to activate? It's strange in some cases, like sprinting. It's like, I can move away from that animal... But I can't run away! It's weird.
Sprinting is particularly broken at the moment, nerfed into uselessness. You're right about skills taking a turn to use by default, and sprinting is obviously one thing that should be an exception to this rule. In general, I feel like the tactical system, initiative etc. isn't quite there yet. The underlying system intends to counteract some things like the "hack'n'back" strategy, but I'm stuck with other problems, like how biting animals can instakill (by successively paralyzing with critical hits), or how switching props in the middle of a melee fight is basically suicide. Some times I feel like resigning the underlying rules, but I may be better off finding what doesn't work and fix that.

not sure about that, but it seems that enemies, unlike player, do not have to correct, uhm, line of sight to attack
They shoot according to the same rules as the player, including that their shots can go wild. So they may hit you at an oblique angle if they are aiming next to you. (And in fact, there are techniques to wilfully increase your chance of wildfire, like fanning your gun at a tumbleweed surrounded by baddies. I was wondering about a boss template that trades accuracy for bullet hell by dual-wielding sawed off shotguns or something like that :)) )

regarding to changelog: why rename derringer to pepperbox? Maybe it's worth to keep both? ;)
I'll keep it in mind… The reason I removed the Derringer name, was because it was one of very few named references to Earth, where the other guns have descriptive names ("sixshooter" rather than "Colt"). If LoSt even plays on Earth, it's a quite different Terra than our own. Again, I'm still figuring out some of the basics of the setting, including to which degree I should reference Earth vs. generating lore from scratch all the time. I had an idea to maybe randomly generate spoofs off of famous gun brands, but never got around to doing it (yet). Something is definitely on the horizon in this department, though :)

In general, I'm content with that release, it's good to see new content and mechanics added. And, man, I'm sorry, I feel terrible when I'm reporting issues, it's like, don't know, sort of discouragement. I hope you don't feel it in that way :)
Quite the contrary! I think constructive criticism is the highest of praise. Thanks also for typos etc.

I was trying to use in-game survey, but I encountered error. Don't know what, message didn't specify that. It happened when I pressed 'send answers' option. Could you add possibility to copy the comment to the clipboard?
Hm. That survey was a last-minute addition. Are you on Windows? I only properly tested it in Linux; now I feel quite stupid thinking about people who might be doing me the favor of filling out the form only to get their answers flushed. I should have my dusty old netbook with Windows around here somewhere, so I can hopefully make a quick fix.

Thank you for your continued support of the game, man :)

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Avagart

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:43:52 PM »
It was meant to reflect (a bit jokingly) that dilettantes start with two completely random skills, in contrast to the other careers, who each has one guaranteed skill and another skill chosen randomly from the same area/skilltree.
Probably you could make it just more clear. For me, as I'm aware that LoSt is still in early stage of development, it looked like placeholder. Or some sort of error handling.

They shoot according to the same rules as the player, including that their shots can go wild.
OK, maybe I messed something, but - just tested. I can't hit a lyncher (orange one) in that position, but he can shot me. It's not big deal because turning PC is free action, but - still...

I'll keep it in mind… The reason I removed the Derringer name, was because it was one of very few named references to Earth, where the other guns have descriptive names ("sixshooter" rather than "Colt")
True that, but I think that these small references to our well known Wild West makes game more, say, 'rooted' in that atmosphere. But it's your game and your decision, I won't lobby that :D

Quite the contrary! I think constructive criticism is the highest of praise.
Well, I'm glad to hear / read that :)

That survey was a last-minute addition.
Yup, I'm on Windows. Didn't test it on Linux, although I could do it later.

Thank you for your continued support of the game, man
No problem, it's pleasure :)

Also, few new, bad things.

Just noticed that player sprite is not displayed when enters on hex that was occupied by tumbleweed in the moment of move. Nah, my English is messy, so grab next screenshot :D

OK, game just crashed. Didn't run it via terminal so I can't post traceback. I was testing some scenarios, then I quit game without saving. So, in main menu, I started new game - male unpromising duelist. Game crashed after I confirmed name of my character.  ...Shit, I didn't figure out that LoSt creates log, and that new log overwrites the old one... I'm unable to replicate that bug.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:47:03 PM by Avagart »

AgingMinotaur

• Protector of the @
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 01:31:06 AM »
Well, I think I fixed the problem with the survey, at least. A new exe has been uploaded, patched to always save a copy of the survey, not mention that it should now be able to actually send the data! Users who run from source/linux are not affected. Thanks again for the head up.

As always,
Minotauros