Due to popular demand, Golden Krone Hotel now has morgue files and an online leaderboard. This update also brings 3 new monsters, a new class and branch as usual, and... bounciness?!?
While testing some jumping behavior for the Toad, I realized the animation looks a lot more lively by having all
characters bounce around like they're all on pogo sticks. This is something you see in games like Crypt of the Necrodancer, but it makes a lot more sense there. Even so, other games like Dungeonmans have used it in place of a walk animation. It seems to work well with a game that doesn't take itself too seriously... and my certainly doesn't.
I've made the "bounciness factor" an option, but by default I'm going to add in at least a little bounce. It'll be interesting to see how people like it!
The River should be an interesting challenge, since it's completely dark and mostly water filled. The darkness obviously poses an issue for humans but in vampire form, water is your biggest enemy. For now, there's not much reason to go to this branch. Eventually it'll lead to the Maelstrom and then the Underworld, which will be the hardest branch in the game.Changelog:
- Morgue files have been added, which can (optionally) be uploaded to http://www.goldenkronehotel.com/morgue.php, shared with friends, and ranked acording to score.
- A new branch: The River, which sits below the Grotto.
- A new disguise: Alchemist. Start as a vampire holding several unread books.
- Three new monsters: Wolves hunt in packs, Toads jump around and attack from range, and Goblins are a plain old monster.
- Monsters have been reshuffled to make the first floor much easier and less annoying! The standard monsters on Floor 1 are now Grunts (weak vampire), Rats, Bats, and Goblins. Baby Spiders should be less common.
- Bounciness. All characters bounce around. This can be increased or turned off completely in the Options menu.
- All characters also have shadows. This can also be turned off if desired.
- Pharmacopoeia and Mausoleum have each been extended to 2 floors.
- Some late game bosses and monsters have increased in difficulty to match the extra XP now available.
- The Varcolac is now always in werewolf form at night.
- Moroi were way too weak. They now have a ranged attack, which can't be dodged. It can't reduce you below 50% health though.
- Wooden wall sprites have been redrawn and darkened to enhance contrast and readability.
- Potion tooltips added to unidentified potions in Primer and Hawker menus.
- Book sprites have been made clearer to distinguish.
- Options menu now remembers your previous spot.
- Pressing escape during the logo/title screen jumps straight to the Start menu.
- Fix a bug that allowed you to save after death and then walk around like an invisible ghost spraying blood everywhere.
- Credits and Help moved to Options menu to reduce title screen clutter
- Fixed a scrolling issue with some screens like the Disguise menu.