Author Topic: Maintenance tasks  (Read 311 times)

Slash

• Priest of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
Maintenance tasks
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:17:53 AM »
- IRLDB is back! https://blog.slashie.net/2017/01/10/irldb-international-roguelike-database-revived/
- Removed message related to email activation since the problem has been sorted out
- Update to SMF 2.0.13 from SMF 2.0.11}- Update to wordpress 4.7 (Including askimet, captcha and wordfence security)
- Removed link to add "banner" (ad rotator plugin not supported by current version of Wordpress, will need to come out with something better)

javelinrl

• Priest
  • Creator of Javelin
    • View Profile
    • Javelin - party-based roguelike (open-source RPG / strategy game)
Re: Maintenance tasks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »
There's also been a ton of spam on the forums, as you can see in the "recent posts" index. Is there anything we can do as a community to help solve this? It really annoys me to no end to see almost entire pages of spam - almost as much spam as legitimate content or more in some pages. It makes me feel the site is not taken care of, even if I know that in practice it isn't that big of a deal.

I've also read a couple of the messages because it intrigued me that they don't seem to have links in them and from what I've seen they also don't seem to endorse any particular product / location / service. I mean, what the hell? What is the point of spam if you're not even advertising anything?
Javelin, party-based d20 roguelike (open-source RPG / strategy game for Win/Mac/Lin)
https://javelinrl.wordpress.com/

Avagart

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
@javelinrl - bots are bots. I remember, we had bot-attack some time ago on polish adom forum. Most of them just pretended to be users by... copypasting old posts. Don't know what was the point of existing such a bots.
In general, I think that few active (and willing) users could obtain moderation access.

Also, I'd like to talk about roguebasin. People are still updating news, creating new pages, etc., but there are, say, problems with roguebasin maintenance. For example, until 1 september 2016, there were still hyperlinks to 7DRL 2015! (instead 2016, I mean) Same for IRDC, events list, etc. Slash, as far as I know you are primary maintainer of roguebasin. Would you be willing to give someone permissions to edit main page?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:10:46 PM by Avagart »

Slash

• Priest of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:39:12 PM »
Slash, as far as I know you are primary maintainer of roguebasin. Would you be willing to give someone permissions to edit main page

Well, I'm looking at the list of sysyop and I dunno if any of them would be in for assuming a more active "editor" role for roguebasin http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&group=sysop

If some's really interested on working on it, and preferably has a record of activity and invovlement in the roguelike community, I'd gladly give access.