Author Topic: Streets of Rogue (now at Alpha 33) $  (Read 2036 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • MSN Messenger - BRIAN13137@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BRIAN13137
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - getterbrian
    • View Profile
Re: Streets of Rogue (now at Alpha 30 Character Creation) $
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »
Alpha 30 Character Creation

Yeaaaa, that's right, it's FINALLY possible to create your very own characters! Just click on the bottom slots in the Character Select screen to get started!

This is still very much a work in progress, so there are a few caveats:
- Saved characters may be deleted next build (August 10)
- Unlocks are disabled while playing as user-created characters.. for now.
- User-created characters do not work in multiplayer mode.
- Many abilities and traits are not available right now.
- Point values were added very hastily and might end up getting changed a lot. Not a whole lot of balancing has been done.

There's also a new Fortnight Discussion up right now:
What is the final challenge/boss/whatever?

Alpha 30
New Feature
Character Creation

Graphics
Zombies have correct eye sprite after being arrested and killed

UI / Controls
Fix for NPC icons remaining on the minimap after they are transformed into Zombies
In 2-player local coop, switched color of split-screen transition effect from white to black so that it would appear less jarring
Players can now rebind many controls that were not available for rebinding before
Controller rebinding can be done from the initial setup screen before the game begins for the first time

Items
Fix for thrown items sometimes dropping beneath the player instead of actually being thrown

Status Effects / Traits / Special Abilities
Jock no longer loses 5 Health when using his Charge ability
Fix for error occurring when Jock landed on the ground after charging into a wall, preventing sound effect
Flesh Feast cannot be used on Killer Robot
Player cannot receive “Big Bullets” when they are unable to use guns
Player cannot receive “Durabilitacious” when they are unable to use melee weapons
Zombies are seen as “Guilty” by Cops

Gameplay
Fix for players not falling into holes if they were running at extremely high speeds due to “I’m Outtie”

Missions
Can no longer receive missions where you need to kill someone of the same class when you have the Class Solidarity trait

Level Generation
Adjusted positioning of various Tubes in Factories to avoid instances where the objects they spew out miss the conveyor belt

Artificial Intelligence
Cops get angry when the player hits Fire Hydrants and makes them spew water
Cops no longer try to whack Fire Hydrants to death when they get sprayed
Ghosts and non-party-member Zombies are less careful when walking into dangerous situations
Fix for Cops not being initially Hostile toward Shapeshifters
Jock has (temporary) dialogue in Home Base

Performance
Optimizations made to Zombie

Stuff you might have missed in Alpha 29's many hotfix builds
Fix for multiplayer having major issues with level transitions
Proper support for generic USB gamepads
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Streets of Rogue (now at Alpha 31 Character Creation Improved) $
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 07:54:42 PM »
Alpha 31

So first off: I released a version of Alpha 31 earlier today, prematurely. If you ran this version, all of your unlock progress may have been deleted. I'm very sorry about this, and I'll be taking more precautions in the future to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again. If your progress got deleted, send me an email (my email can be found at the bottom of streetsofrogue.com) and I'll send you a file with everything unlocked.

Pretty much every major thing that was wrong with the previous iteration of Character Creation has been fixed. Check the list below for the full details.

I’ve also started work on Floor 4 - Downtown. It won’t be done for another couple of update cycles (likely September 7th), so the next update (August 24th) will probably be on the light side. If you want to help out with this new area, you can discuss ideas in this week’s Fortnight Discussion.

I’ve also started work on porting the game to consoles. So yeah, that’s a thing now.

Alpha 31
Character Creation (and related gameplay)
Custom characters can be used in multiplayer mode, as long as it’s not a non-password-protected internet game
Character data is now stored in the My Documents folder (or Mac/Linux equivalent)
It is now possible to change a character’s eye type and color, and add an accessory
Many balance changes made to point values
Character Creation interface has been prettied up
Added “Clear Slot” button
New selectable traits: Unstoppable-ish, Ultimate Butterfinger-er, Sausage Fingers, Scientist Slayer, Specist, Diminutive, Naked, Blahd Basher, Crepe Crusher, Zombify, Flesh Feast, Fair Game, Serve Drinks, Charismatic, Malodorous, Addict
New selectable items: Drink Mixer, Slave Helmet Remote, Steroids, Codpiece, Bacon Cheeseburger, Banana, Whiskey, First Aid Kit, Rock, Combat Helmet, Freeze Ray, Ghost Blaster, Shuriken, Axe, Translator
New selectable abilities: Enslave, Sharp Lunge
Traits and Abilities are now capable of canceling out other traits and abilities
Trait, Ability and Item descriptions may contain “Recommended” text to indicate other things that go along them
Custom characters can get Achievements and Unlocks.
No longer necessary to switch to Sandbox mode when using characters that exceed the point limit. However, players will be unable to get Achievements and Unlocks.
Placed caps on the number of Traits and Items that can be selected before the player exceeds limitations
Button added to allow alphabetical sorting in addition to point value sorting
Sorting takes “locked” status into account
Some missing items added to starting item selection
Gamepad button prompts only appear when using a gamepad
Error message will appear if you try to give your character a name that is already taken by an existing character
Deleted characters are immediately removed from the Character Select screen
Fix for facial hair appearing as the wrong color in the big character select image
Pressing Start on the gamepad to save the game while inputting a character name will now save that name properly
Assorted fixes for gamepad navigation in character creation screen
Fixed more cases where “E_” text was appearing when performing certain formerly character-specific abilities
Fix for new custom characters sometimes starting with the wrong hair, skin color, etc.
Fix for custom characters who got zombified resurrecting with incorrect body type
Fix for custom characters with “The Law” not being able to see whether a person was guilty or innocent
Fix for custom characters with “The Law” not being aligned with Cops
Fix for Taser not being available to custom characters when No Guns mutator was active
Fixed bug where the last button on the Traits and Items lists was not appearing
Fix for “Killer” on Stats screen reading “E_Custom” at times
Fix for NPC custom characters not having wolf heads, robot heads, etc.
Fix for player not being able to change the color of wolf heads, robot heads, etc.
Fix for original head appearing behind wolf heads, robot heads, etc.
Fix for larger body types not being sized correctly on the Character Creation screen
Fixed timing of certain Character Creation screen sound effects

Sound
Around 100 new sound effects

Localization
Fix for fan translations not appearing properly when turned on until after the game was restarted

Graphics
Fix for accessories like Sunglasses sometimes appearing over hair when they weren’t supposed to

UI / Controls
Fix for pressing space to select random characters on Character Select working weird in Home Base with more than 1 player active

Fix for Arresting animation not completing properly when arresting Slaves
Studious and Super Studious do not take effect when the player loses XP
Turf Warrior has been replaced with one trait for each gang: Blahd Basher and Crepe Crusher

Mutators
Sandbox mutator now allows you to do missions, but does not require them in order to get to the next level

Multiplayer
Fix for appearances of “purple worm man thing”

Engine
Updated Unity engine from 5.6.1f1 to 2017.1.0p2

Other
Updated 2D Toolkit plugin from 2.5.8.1 to 2.5.8.5
Updated Rewired plugin from 1.1.3.0 to 1.1.5.3
Updated Steamworks dot net from 9.0.0 to 10.0.0

Internal
Prep work for Downtown levels
Prep work for console versions

Alpha 31b
Fixed issue where character select wasn't working properly and people's unlocks were getting deleted
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Streets of Rogue (now at Alpha 32) $
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 10:40:58 PM »
Alpha 32
Optimization
I have been furiously optimizing Streets of Rogue over the past week or so. While performance issues haven’t been a major problem in the game (save for a few trouble sections), it had been about a year and a half since the last time the game got an optimization pass. If you’re running the game on a low- to mid-range PC, you may notice fewer frame drops in this build. For everyone else, the game will feel just a tad bit snappier. There’s still a lot more optimization to be done as well.

Consoles??
A big part of the reason for these optimizations is that I’m currently working on console versions of the game, and unfortunately, consoles don’t have quite the horsepower of a modern PC. So, my code needs to be in impeccable shape for the game to run at a decent clip. While Streets of Rogue might not look like the sort of game that should have big requirements, there’s actually a lot being processed on the CPU at any given time. Fancy AI doesn’t come cheap!

So what consoles is the game coming to, and when? Can’t say right now, but it may happen before the end of the year if all goes well!

What about Level 4??
And what of Level 4? Well, I was hoping to have it done for the September 7th build release, but that may not happen. There’s a lot on my plate right now given some recent developments regarding the console versions. But I would still like to have it out in mid-September. Can’t make any promises, but I think that should be doable.

PAX
The game will be playable at PAX West next week at the tinyBuild booth. Stop by and say hello to those fine folks, and be sure to bug them about Hello Neighbor's release date, I hear they love that! Sadly I won’t be able to make it this year. I’ll be out of town for a wedding for 5 days during Labor Day weekend.

Community Stuff
This week’s Fortnight Discussion deals with the long-awated “Big Quests”...

Also, check out the Wiki Editor of the Month competition!, and while you're at it, go make some edits to the wiki[streetsofrogue.gamepedia.com]!

Alpha 32
Performance
Loads and loads of performance tweaks
Load times are slightly faster

Graphics
Fix for players clipping through walls and objects vertically after teleporting while in the water

UI / Controls
Fix for Traits on Load Character screen not being separated by line
Fix for players 2, 3 and 4 not having the correct character selected when entering Character Select screen after death while playing as a custom character
Fix for error if player plays as a custom character, dies, clears the custom character slot, then closes and re-opens the menu

Items
Fix for Shopkeeper appearing to be equipped with weapons on multiplayer client when he is actually empty-handed

Fix for Bloodlust, Zombify, Camera Shy, Crepe Crusher, Blahd Basher and potentially others not triggering properly sometimes for multiplayer clients past the level where they joined the game
Unstoppable-Ish cancels out Tank-Like and Skinny Nerdlinger during Character Creation

Sound
Fix for “jump out of water” sound effect playing if the player teleports while in the water

Tutorial
Fix for explosions from first laser not hitting the player if he stood in the exact right spot
Player can now eat the Banana to advance the “quick-use health” part of the tutorial
Internal
Prep work for Downtown levels
Prep work for console versions
Created new Free version of the game
Created new Show version of the game for PAX
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Streets of Rogue (now at Alpha 33) $
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
Alpha 33

Yep, I’m still hard at work optimizing every little detail of Streets of Rogue, and there’s still quite a bit more to do. I didn’t expect the process to take quite as long as it’s taking, but apparently there were a lot more spots in the game where I was doing things in a… less than satisfactory way. It’ll be worth the extra effort, since it means the game will be mounted on a much more solid base. Like I mentioned last update, most modern PC users won’t see a huge difference -- these changes will primarily benefit players on older hardware, and the upcoming console ports of the game.

Today’s update has some noticeable improvements for frame drops in the Industrial areas, and there’s still more to come. There are also a number of bug fixes, mostly for things that I broke during optimization. Please keep me posted on anything else that I may have broken!

Also, apologies for last update’s speculation about the release of the “Level 4 - Downtown” content, I’m going to keep my lips sealed about that until the time comes. New content will be my top priority following the current batch of performance improvements. You can still contribute suggestions for Downtown in this thread.

This week’s Fortnight Discussion: “ProTips”. I know you’ve got some. Let’s have ‘em.

Also, a reminder to check out the Wiki Editor of the Month competition!

Alpha 33
Performance
Whole bunch of large and small improvements that hopefully did not break too much

Graphics
Fix for split-screen camera sometimes showing weird artifacts on Medium lighting mode
Fix for players appearing as purple worm man thing when switching to local multiplayer mode from Home Base

UI / Controls
Fix for “Other players can revive you” messages not appearing in four-player local mode
Fix for certain interface elements appearing in incorrect positions during camera zooms
Fix for dialogue box appearing on top of main menu when the game is paused

Characters
Fix for not being able to properly Bribe cops, which in turn made the Cop character impossible to unlock

Playfield Objects
Switches and Laser Emitters cannot be set on fire

Items
Fix for cases in multiplayer games where people would refuse to equip or shoot certain weapons on the server due to traits like Stubby Fingers, though they were equipped on the client

Fix for game freezing if the player killed themselves while having the Bloodlust trait
Fix for Bloodlust restoring someone’s health after their death
Fix for Bloodlust triggering when the player punched dead bodies that were burnt from fire
Fix for bodies not turning into zombies if they were afflicted with Zombiism and then knocked out and killed

Combat
Fix for opponents sometimes immediately punching the player after the player had just initiated combat
Fix for opponents being too aggressive toward the player prior to actually hitting the player for the first time
Fix for opponents consistently being too aggressive toward multiplayer clients
Fix for opponents phasing through walls often as multiplayer client

Sound
Fix for Werewolf Transformation sound effects not playing
Sound effects added to menus in a couple spots

Gameplay
Fix for game going haywire when falling down holes and dying while Possessing another person
Possibly a bunch of other fixes for possessing other people
Fix for players being able to continue the game in coop mode if they were falling into a hole after the game had ended due to Suicide or finishing all the levels

Level Generation
Fixed a couple of instances where pits were placed in such a way that people would have difficulty pathing around them

Artificial Intelligence
Improved pathfinding, people less likely to get stuck walking into walls
Fixed issue where people would not pay attention to noises after too many noises had been created during that level
Fix for combat not occurring properly between NPCs when they were off-camera
Fix for people not fleeing clients properly when they were out of range of the host
People will not walk through red lasers in most situations
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training