So, a success, though not as good as I had hoped. Still, it is a game, maybe even an interesting one.
Download links:Windows version (32bit I think)Linux 64bit versionreadme.txt that I forgot to put in the packages.
I'll try to get a 32bit linux version and maybe a mac version up too.
A bit of a postmortem:
Things I succeeded in:
- I set out to make a true coffeebreak game, with a length of 10-15 minutes. In the end a single game can easily be completed in 5 minutes, which is even better.
- The mechanics in the game are, while certainly not perfect, functional and somewhat interesting.
- I like how the game looks (except for the second and third levels). I think the colors are nice, at the very least they are quite inoffensive.
- It has codpieces.
Things I failed in:
- Coding, mostly. Trying to figure out how to do simple things and hunting for stupid typos took way too much time and energy. But that's mainly down to too little experience, a problem easily fixed, at least in time for next year.
- There are bugs left in the code that I know of, but can't find the reason for. Attacking multiple enemies at once sometimes fails and leaves one alive. Enemies occasionally spawn inside walls, though only at the edges of rooms, so they step out of them quickly. Sometimes they spawn on top of each other. I've gone through the code and find no reason for such behavior. I'll probably post a bug-fix version later.
- I didn't have time to add quite a few features. For now there are only three maptypes and the 'story' is the same each game. The level generators are bad and produce very similiar, quite ugly levels (though the forest maps look nice I think). There are no items (I had planned to add something like three consumables, nothing more).
- It has no pictures of codpieces.
All in all, making the game was tough and fun and interesting. I'm very happy to have made a (somewhat) finished game, hopefully by this time next year there will be a couple more.
/Hrakanku, with 39 minutes left on the clock
Hi everyone, my first post on the forum.
I'll be making my first 7DRL (and my first finished RL, and my first finished game actually (well, hopefully finished at least)). The game will be a genuine coffeebreak roguelike, something around 6-15 minutes in length I think, with tactical combat, minimal controls and no bump-to-attack, heavily influenced by Hoplite. The setting is a post-apocalyptic 16th century Germany, with no fantasy elements but a bit of alternate-history fun stuff. And a lot of codpieces. The setting will not be a huge part of this game, but will feature more strongly in a few projects I'll hopefully be releasing later.
Edit: I will be using python & libtcod, and some code from my other, somewhat unnamed rl project.
Also, starting now, at 10.53 03/06.