Author Topic: Dungeonlike (now at Alpha 0.2.1)  (Read 346 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • MSN Messenger - BRIAN13137@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BRIAN13137
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - getterbrian
    • View Profile
Dungeonlike (now at Alpha 0.2.1)
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »
https://sheriour.itch.io/dungeonlike Win

Dungeonlike is a traditional roguelike dungeon crawler. Turn based, with tile graphics, randomisation, and a ton of character customisation, as well as an advanced health and ability system.

Your task is to slay Durgaz, the chief of Orcs who resides at the bottom of a 10-level underground fortress. At least, that is the official agenda. In reality, your task is to turn this dungeon into a gallery of orcish guts and remains.

Randomised dungeon levels.
    Randomised enemy equipment.
    6 races to choose from.
    Over 40 attacks and spells to end your foes.
    Over 60 items to utilise.
    Slash & Stab! Weapons often provide more than one way of slamming them against those who get in your way.
    Health and inventory system fully based on body parts.  Cut of their legs, then crush their skulls!
    Design your own versions of spells and techiques. Tame the magic, master the steel!
    Discover hidden rooms with treasure.
    Full built-in wiki, aka. Dungeonpedia.

Dungeonlike is still under development (alpha) and will be receiving periodic updates with hot new features. Currently the game is in its infancy and is still missing many elements which will be added with time.

Future Goals

Sounds.
    Music.
    Mouse support.
    Diablo-like magic item system, with both randomised enchantments and unique powerful items (nearly done).
    Stealth, sneaking, surprise attacks (nearly done).
    Shop with currency.
    More location types aside from the dungeon.
    More enemy types, to take advantage of the health system.
    Open world gameplay with cities and optional dungeon adventures.

Seems promising~   8)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:16:01 PM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeonlike (now at Alpha 0.1.3)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »
v0.1.3

Hello everybody! I am extremely happy to see that the game is getting some attention. I have received some information about the control being less than intuitive and with little to no explanation, so I added a short (and optional) tutorial and provided a link to Dungeonpedia in the main menu, to make that thing more accessible. Other than that, minor things have been done here and there, everything listed below.

Save files from previous versions will not be compatible, sorry!

Changes in v.0.1.3

New Stuff:
    Optional tutorial added. It can be accessed after creating you character.
    Items now display if they use two slots (eg. gloves), displayed as "Glove (1 or 2)".
    Items show now if they require two slots (eg. claymore), displayed as "Hand (2)".
    Items can be now equiped/unequiped/used with Enter key from the Inventory screen, instead of having separate equip/use keys (Enter/U previously).
    Added a Dungeonpedia link to main menu.
    Waiting a turn can be now performed with the period "." key. For the numpadless.

Fixes/Stability:
    Fixed list resizing for container view on all resolution settings. Previously it would scramble all over the place on non-default resolution.
    Pressing a hotkey when no item highlighted in inventory would crash the game.
    Updated Dungeonpedia keybinds, as some were missing.
    Implemented a retry system for reading/saving the config files to increase stability, as I've seen an instance of it crashing the game.
    Implemented a retry system for save files as well, just in case.

Balance:
    Increased the resource cost of Sweep attack, as it was way overpowered.

Others:
    Creature detail windows are now permanently expanded.
    Updated accreditation.
    Changed the font of the floating text during combat.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeonlike (now at Alpha 0.1.4)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 12:04:16 PM »
v0.1.4

Alright, new version coming out, 0.1.4. There is a ton of changes coming out this time around, and they mostly have something to do with accessibility and general quality of life improvements. Creating a new character was taking a bit too long, so I've made a lot of improvements in that area. A full list of changes is provided below.

Save files from v.0.1.3 should be compatible.

New Stuff:
    Holding Ctrl allows the player to see last targeted enemy (or just the closest one, if not possible)
    Holding Ctrl and pressing V will allow to cycle between enemies viewed that way.
    Player Classes introduced, mostly for the purpose of quicker character creation (stats/skills/weapon).
    Old system of custom character creation can be now accessed by choosing "Create New" in Class select window. Such custom classes will be saved for the future.
    When having multiple windows open, the display will dim all the background windows.
    If a position contains more than one unlocked container, a list of containers will pop up when trying to interact with containers (previously only the first container from the top was possible to inspect).
    Containers in inventory can also be opened now (with Enter).
    Can lockpick chests in the inventory (also Enter).
    Containers now get heavier due to their contents.
    All windows in character creation process allow to use Ctrl+up/down for quicker top/bottom navigation.
    Skill and stats windows in character creation allow to use Ctrl+left/right for quicker assignment of points.
    Tutorial can now be disabled if the "Do you want to play the tutorial" becomes annoying. It can be also disabled/re-enabled from the options.
    Game now autosaves on first turn.
    Diagonal movement is now also possible with Shift+arrows, something for those without numpads on their keyboards.

Fixes/Stability:
    Upgraded to the latest Monogame framework version. This allows the builds to be based on OpenGL.
    If lockpicking action was canceled before choosing an object from the list, action preview window would stay open.
    Default attacks (Heavy Strike etc.) would not load up on the first turn after loading a save file.
    Attack names no longer protrude beyond the attack list (the popup one) and hotkeys window.
    If the player hit Enter when no attack was available for the attack list (the popup one), the game would crash.

Others:
    I totally forgot that the game was rendering all tiles at a 40x40 size, even though source files are 32x32. Switched the tile size to 32, so all dungeon tiles will be a bit smaller, but no longer so blurry.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeonlike (now at Alpha 0.1.5)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:57:16 PM »
Hello, dungeonlike-liking people! The big feature going out this time around is... magical items! Quite a basic thing for a loot-rich game, and I always wanted to have them around. So here they are, currently a bit over 20 enchants for a good start. Almost any weapon or armor spawned in the game might be enchanted, having a special prefix in front of the name and providing bonus effects. These effects will be selected at random, and will have varying power, so two "Brutal" Arming Swords might have a different bonus to their damage.

I also got a bunch of fixes for you, of which about half are a result of your bug reports sent to me! Big thanks to everybody who sent one, as this speeds up the development tremendously and helps me keep the game as good as I can manage. Keep them coming!

Saves from back to 0.1.3 are theoretically compatible, but you will not see any of the magic items spawn. Also, the mage robe sets will have their hex resistance removed.

New Stuff:
    Magic items with bonus stats can now be found in chests or on the enemies.
    Removed Staff of Energy from the game. Any staff can now have the same effect if it has the "Focused" magic effect.
    Removed innate hex resist bonuses from mage robes (Neophyte and Magus sets). Any piece of armor can now have the "resistive" magic effect offering a similar bonus.
    Mana potions and Stamina potions can now be found in the Dungeon. No idea why I did not have these items in the game in the first place.
    Armor penalty - if applied - is now displayed as a condition (armor with a red exclamation mark) to bring it to player's attention. Armor penalty makes magic really hard to aim, which confused a lot of people, I hope this makes it a bit clearer.
    An open chest with no items insisde will display "Small Chest (Empty)" to signify that.
    Female character tiles have been improved.

Fixes/Stability:
    Dual Strike would not become the primary attack when dual wielding, making the entire gamestyle broken. It would also lead to corrupted attacks being created, causing crashes.
    Mage gloves would take only one equipment slot.
    Attempting to equip gloves or boots while having some equiped already would make them disappear.
    Killing an enemy with Ctrl view mode on would crash the game if there was another enemy around.
    Upon a crash, the game will allow you to continue or give up playing. This should prevent trivial bugs from crashing your game, as sometimes the failure is not really serious enough.
    When drawing range of AOE spells, the game would use vision-based calculations instead of passability-based. So if you used Conjure Smoke and then attempted to throw a fireball at it, the game would not show that this area will be affected. Switched the logic to use passability instead of vision here.
    Additionally, if entire target area was covered by smoke, the game would actually crash! This has been fixed as well.
    LineAOE spells did not have their cost influenced by range modifications, making them very cheap.
    The item type filtering in Container and Equipment windows would not reset after closing, which even got me going WTF? "why are there no items in that box?".
    Targetting crosshair did some wierd stuff, getting permamently stuck on the screen in some rare cases.
    The "Full" condition applied when a creature eats enough would atually remain applied even if satiety levels dropped to "Satiated".

Balance:
    Blocking with shields takes twice as much stamina per block as before, but increasing the Shielding skill reduces that amount four times as fast. In other words, you need to be good with shields in order to really make use of them in the long run. To avoid "trolling" new players, the initial buckler is now NOT EQUIPPED AUTOMATICALLY after character creation, as this would lead to rapid stamina depletion.
    Ranged weapons pierce easier through armor (would pierce through 25%, now 50%) to make ranged enemies an actual threat.
    Chests will spawn slightly more stuff.
    Kobold thieves will drop more lockpicks.
    Kobold thieves and Orcish Henchmen will be slightly more accurate and deal slightly more damage (about 10% increase).

Others:
    Added a piece of test/tip under the attacks window popup to suggest that the player can hold Ctrl to re-attack. I see a lot of people go through all the menus during combat (select attack => select enemy => select body part) while this boring procedure can be nearly totally skipped. I personally would get carpal tunnel  not enjoy the game  at all if I had to go through all of that on each turn.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeonlike (now at Alpha 0.2.0!)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »
0.2.0   8)

Greetings, orc slayers. We're hopping from 0.1.x versions into the realm of 0.2.x, as huge changes have come to the land of Dungeonlike. A town level is now available with a Blacksmith who sells weapons and armor, a general Trader who sells consumables, a Healer who makes sarcastic comments about your existence and heals you for a hefty price, and a Bank (personal stash).

Apart from that, there are a bunch of new enemies in the Dungeon, including non-humanoids. Orc Warriors are now weaker, but Orc Veterans will take their place as the first scary melee guys. Orc Blazers can be found earlier in the dungeon, but powerful Orc Infernalists will appear on deeper levels. War Dogs and Wargs can also be found in the Dungeon, toghether with their more dangerous Rabid versions, with poison-applying bites. On lowest levels, Orc Duelists will make your life miserable with their mobility.

Instead of having just one Healing Potion, the game now also offers a Marrow Extract (increases Structure regeneration for all limbs), a Regenerative Balm (increases Tissue regeneration for a given limb) and a Potion of Transfusion (increases Blood regeneration).

On top of that, some new scrolls, with the Town Portal being probably the most interesting one. This scroll will never drop within the dungeon, so if you want to keep jumping between the town and the orcish massacre, better supply yourself beforehand.

Saves from earlier versions won't work.

New Stuff:
    Town level with a Blacksmith, a Trader a Bank and a Healer.
    Currency (gold) introduced. It can be viewed as an item in inventory, but possesed amount is displayed in several windows for quick reference.
    Most items have value (but corpses etc. won't).
    Magical items have their value increased depending on what enchants they have.
    New enemies: Orc Veteran, Orc Duelist, Orc Infernalist, War Dog, Rabid War Dog, Warg, Rabid Warg.
    New healing items: Marrow Extract, Regenerative Balm and Potion of Transfusion. Old Healing Potion made a bit weaker to compensate.
    New scroll items: Scroll of Blink, Scroll of Teleport, Scroll of Town Portal, Scroll of Haste.
    New low-level items: Ragged Gloves, Boots, Leather Helmet. Od leather items rebalanced.
    Orc Blazers and Infernalists can use two kinds of spells now, AOE and locational.
    Overburden and Armor Penalty condition icons are now displayed in the inventory window as a hint.
    The Action preview window in the main Actions Window is now only displaying useful information, instead of a huge "N/A" list.
    When poisoned, your poison stack count is displayed on the icon for reference.
    Can now compare any equipable item with the item currently worn by pressing Ctrl. This works in inventory screen, shop screen, container interaction screen and when browsing items on the ground.

Fixes/Stability:
    Orcish Hunters would crash the game if they got blocked in all directions while trying to dash away from danger.
    Window used for number netry (eg. when picking up stacks of items) would crash if the amount was deleted from the input.
    Can no longer create game-breaking paradoxes by putting chests into themselves.
    Disarming with Smash Grip when the enemy has a two handed weapon would lead to him still "having" the weapon in the off hand, leading to potential crashes.
    Some attacks (eg. Axe Hook) would never miss due to a failure in the attack logic.

Balance:
    Reworked the item sets of most enemies to make the difficulty progression smoother.
    Two handed weapons are now faster than before, but they deal less damage. They did way too much damage previously, which resulted in getting insta-nuked by enemies using them, or just breezing through the dungeon as a two handed user. Should be a bit more balanced now.
    Low level one handed weapons got a damage buff to make them actually usable.
    Orcish Berserkers will never run away, and now can occasionaly spawn with two handed weapons instead of dual wield.
    Rapier has 50% armor piercing on all attacks.
    All sword stab attacks have 25% armor piercing.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Zireael

• Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeonlike (now at Alpha 0.2.0!)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »
Can no longer create game-breaking paradoxes by putting chests into themselves.

:D :D

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeonlike (now at Alpha 0.2.1)
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:16:38 PM »

Hello and welcome! This time I bring to you a symbolical break of the vow of silence, which is sounds! Pretty basic for now, I tried to give every turn-passing action a sound effect to mostly inform the player that time is ticking. If you feel that any of the sounds are out of place, or even better - you know where to find some sweet sounds that I could use without draining my wallet dry, I'd be very grateful.

Mages have also received a huge buff, as they were "slightly underpowered", especially after War Dogs have been introduced and low-tier weapons have had their damage improved.  To keep up with this, I have improved damage of almost all spells, with high-tier spells receiving staggering buffs. It is also slightly more difficult to resist all spells, as their base effect power has gone up. On top of that, the Sorcery skill offers you the Mage Armor spell which improves your protection for a time, and all staves have been redesigned to benefit the user with mid-high-tier spells instead of the low-tier ones you have anyway at start:

Staff of Flames gives access to Conjure Flames, which means you always have that AOE nuke at your disposal.
    Staff of Force gives access to Push, so you can keep safe distance from your enemies while smiting them.
    Staff of Malice gives access to Drain Blood, so you can feel like a vampire early on and compensate for that bloody costs of Sangumantic spells.

I have also removed the Conjure Smoke spell as it has been pointed out ot me that with current AI this actually is an invincibility spell, since AI will not do you any harm while it cannot see you. Woops! Will bring this spell back (possibly in a different form) once I get to stealth-oriented features, as this will be when AI will have to cope with invisible enemies on regular basis.

Apart from that, there are tons of quality of life improvements and some good old bugfixes, mostly a result of your comments and bug reports. Big thanks to all of you who keep coming back to this game and letting me know what rocks and what sucks!

Saves from previous versions will not work.

New Stuff:
    Sounds! Together with sound volume controls in options.
    The game now starts with a bit of story, and ends with an actual winning screen.
    If you try to hurt yourself, the game will warn you about your suicidal attempts.
    Town now has guards who will turn on you if you dare to hurt either them or the villagers.
    Quick-Resting is now available with R button. It will rest for up to 120 turns, and will stop if you are at full health, there are enemies nearby or your satiety is dangerously low.
    Armor Penetration is now displayed in a more intuitive way, with % values. So what was displayed at "0.75" (meaning that 0.75 of armor is taken into consideration) is now "25%" (meaning that armor is reduced by 25% for that attack).
    Creatures with disabled legs can no longer use mobility-reliant actions (Dash, Charge, Backslash, Lunge). This should keep those legless  Berserkers off your back. But it also means you cannot Dash around on one leg anymore, so it might as well be your downfall...
    Dodging power is displayed in the Status window (the one you see when pressing "U"), next to Hex Resistance. No idea why I waited so long with making it visible.
    All hints at the bottom of windows are now rendered with a larger font, as I've seen numerous people miss the fact that these hints are even there.

Fixes/Stability:
    Fixed a nasty bug that would cause your game to crash if you left a level with creatures targeting you, then saved -> loaded -> saved game. This was actually a symptom of a much bigger issue I have, as currently time does not pass on inactive levels (ones without player on them). Making time pass in a simplified manner on inactive levels is something that I will probably work on for the next version.
    Fixed the way in which game handled level sizes. You could actually cuase a crash by teleporting within the last level of the dungeon.
    Game would crash if you had the enemy preview window open while dying.
    Sellings chests will now calculate all the worth of the stuff inside the chest, and the vendor will unpack all of the items inside so you can buy them back separately, if you accidentally sell your best sword together with a bunch of junk.
    AI improved to better keep track of their target's location. It should no longer be possible to make full of your enemies by walking in circles and making the enemy lose track of you behind a pillar.
    Speed reduction due to missing legs was not calculated properly, causing War Dogs to not care at all about missing one of their legs.

Balance:
    Mages reworked as described above.
    Durgaz has some backup, as he was a bit too easy to deal with 1 on 1. It makes sense that he would have some bodyguards.
    Trader now will always spawn with basic survivability items: bandages, healing potions, bread and some town portal scrolls.
    Similarly, Blacksmith always spawns with quite a bit of ammo.
    All non-food consumables have had their costs cut down considerably.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training