Author Topic: Recommended Language/Development  (Read 96 times)

NEO Ness

• Acolyte
    • View Profile
Recommended Language/Development
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:39:53 AM »
I bought a few books for GML for Game Maker Studio, I want to make a Rogue Like, it's a life goal/dream of mine.

I was wondering what program and/or programming you'd recommend for a beginner?  I'm very familiar with RPG Maker VXA and MV, I have probably almost 1,000 hours in those.

I see C++ and unity names flying around here.  Anyone willing to help pitch me some info/advice?

Zireael

• Protector of the @
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Language/Development
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:02:39 AM »
Hello Neo Ness, drop by https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/ - we just started a dev-along following a Python tutorial (Python is very easy to pick up for someone who's never programmed), one part a week!

Krice

• Protector of the @
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:43:48 AM »
(Python is very easy to pick up for someone who's never programmed)

It's just a language. I think Python is quite large and complex language so it being easy, well, how you want to think about it. What even makes it "very" easy? Give some tangible examples or get out.

In my opinion easy language is something which is easy to set up/install and feels like it's easy for that person. Some people I guess feel that functional programming is easier than object-oriented programming etc.

The language is 1% of creating a roguelike. 99% is content and game design.

NEO Ness

• Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »
Hello Neo Ness, drop by https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/ - we just started a dev-along following a Python tutorial (Python is very easy to pick up for someone who's never programmed), one part a week!

Thank you for the link.  When I have extra time later today I'll check it out!