I've been tying with the idea of a Roguelike Bundle for a long time, and have been camping on the www.roguelikebundle.com
domain. The original idea was linked with the Roguelike Incubator, with a select few chosen games meeting a number of criteria like open source, accessibility, etc.
Well, out with that idea, let's get something more inclusive. Some good chaps on Reddit have put together this torrented bundle
, and it would be nice to build on this.
The idea is to include a large number of reasonably complete and playable roguelikes, with extras bundled in that can make them easier to play and a profile for each on the web-site. The intention is to have a large group of roguelikes that newcomers to the genre can be pointed towards, and which even older members will find some new gems in. If it's particularly good we can hopefully get some media attention for the whole genre and get some of the lesser known roguelikes some well-deserved attention. I'm putting together a list here
, with additions welcome. There's some discussion of the list on Reddit
What I need from people:
- Help updating that list with details for each item
- General ideas for where this should go, potential problems
- Help with the web-site, including making profiles for each game. The site essentially needs completely redoing.
- Hosting? Doing it via torrents would be nice, but is a little less accessible and can't be updated with new games so easily.
- What games should be included? I'm thinking just polished and reasonably traditional games, and in future having additional bundles like a "Leftfield Collection
" that would be games with unusual mechanics.
Zeno has also made a front-end launcher for the bundle, which you can find here
. Consider this the Steam for roguelikes
Feedback on this is very welcome.