This forum is for projects and games based around the Roguelike Incubator. The Incubator is an area for developers to help each other with feedback and constructive criticism on recent releases, with an aim to produce high quality, polished roguelikes. The focus is on less established games which wish to improve themselves whilst also helping others. Anyone is welcome to give feedback and contribute at any time.
The first cabal of developers will join together to produce a "Roguelike Bundle", to be released as part of the Annual Roguelike Release Party in September. This bundle aims to produce a number of roguelikes of variant size and theme, with a certain hope of being accessible to those outside the genre by having polished interfaces. The tenets of the Roguelike Bundle:
* 100% Free - no commercialisation, all donations go to charity
* 100% Roguelike - intense and challenging games with permadeath and procedural design
* 100% Open - fully open source and cross-platform, with specific support for Win/Mac/Linux
* 100% Accessible - no myriad of keys to learn, these modern roguelikes are pick up and play
To become part of the cabal you must:
* Have a new or in-dev roguelike you wish to improve significantly
* Be dedicated to making new builds at least once a month, taking in guidance from the other members (though you are free to develop as you wish)
* Be dedicated to critically analysing at least one other game each month, with constructive feedback for the other developers
* Have clear development goals and target dates that you publicly state and try to adhere to (and accept advice on - others may disagree on how achievable or advisable your targets are)
The group will work on the premise of mutual assistance, so if you don't pull your weight you'll end up excluded. Similarly it works on mutual image and quality standards - if the game isn't sufficiently polished by the deadline (bug-free, balanced, clean interface) then it won't be included in the bundle, but may become part of a later bundle.
The spreadsheet for the first cabal:http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai4woBhgpQ7hdEd3d0JGM3AtdDQ0Nk9vZEJMYnR5LVE
If you wish to join add your name and project to the list, and post a thread in this forum with some details of you, your game, your goals and a download link to the latest build. Keep this thread updated.
This is just the first group, and if you want to set up a different cabal with different goals you are welcome to. I personally envisage multiple complimentary groups forming, with various themes and objectives, but following the same format of relying on mutual advice and support.