The major change in this version is AI. It has been completely redesigned and rewritten. The old AI was just terrible. Monsters used to stuck even if they were only a couple of cells away from the hero. The AI improvements are not finished yet, but monsters are much smarter now. You'll be able to observe that they chase the hero in a much more reasonable manner, they also don't get stuck when fleeing and some of them are even able to open doors.
Version 0.8.3 features random-generated caves. They don't have any new dedicated tiles, but use some rock and stone tiles that were already available. I have just added a procedural generation algorithm for caves. They look pretty good. You will find only a few cave levels in this release, but they will be used more extensively in the future.
Of course, there are more improvements to the game. Merchants will now "remember" the items that you have sold to them and they will occasionally offer new random stuff. The user interface for dipping an item into a potion has been significantly simplified. Treasure chests have been added for looting and storing precious equipment.
Note: this time saved games are NOT compatible with the previous versions!
The full list of changes:
* AI rewritten from scratch
* added caves
* added "lootable" treasure chests
* dipping an item into a potion is simplified and now can be done by drag & drop
* the Inventory window do not close after an item is repaired (multiple repairs in a row)
* changes to merchant's inventory are no longer discarded as soon as the trade window is closed
* items offered by merchants are more random
* fatal miss counts as a normal attack (attacked creature becomes hostile)
* the tile aimed at is highlighted with a yellow rectangle, not red one
* added a message when a monster or NPC becomes an enemy as a result of an attack
* creature name is included in the question when attempting to attack a neutral/friendly creature
* book name is included in the message when failing to read because of low Literacy level
* [bugfix] missiles fired by the hero are no longer ignored
* [bugfix] first level of the Random Dungeon no longer labelled as level 2 after starting a new game twice in a row
* [bugfix] editor no longer crashes when placing objects near location's edge
* [bugfix] editor no longer crashes when moving the hero towards location's edge
* [bugfix] 'Generate Location' no longer reverts the location's size to the default
* [bugfix] weather, light and of some other time-related stuff does not apply to the editor
* [bugfix] hero no longer moves twice when two adjacent arrow buttons are pressed at the same time (on Windows this causes the hero to move diagonally)
* [bugfix] monster wound status is now correctly reported in the Look window
* [bugfix] cursor is now changed properly when item repair is cancelled
* [bugfix] Bandits' Camp no longer appears as a "village" in the statistics
Have a lot of fun!