Basically, the idea was to create an open-source Decker remake that runs in the browser. For those that don't know Decker, it's a game where you are a hacker and you invade virtual realities to perform missions for fame and fortune.
I've managed to get a prototype working on the free GitHub working but right now all it does is let you listen to some hackey music http://tukkek.github.io/infojack
I'm also trying out a new management process where everything is a GitHub issue before making it into the game, which is something I'm planning to use on Javelin. Nothing really special here but I hope to conclude by the end of it that having a little bit of structure in this regard is better than just winging it, which is what I usually do for hobby projects.
So here's what the roadmap looks like for the game:
- Advance up to level 10
- A city-level Web that you can explore at your own leisure (instead of Decker's mission-by-mission approach)
- Missions set in that city (like in Decker)
- Lifestyle upgrading (you win the game by reaching the highest tier)
- Health management (both self-care and in a hospital)
- Prepare to invade each system by forging credentials, doing perimeter research and more
- You have your own virtual space and artificial intelligence to help you performing certain actions, like writing your own hacking programs and decrypting valuable stolen files
- Getting caught and possibly arrested (and the legal costs to get out or lose the game)
- Defenses on hacker systems goes from 3 types of static ICE to active sysadmins watching over their domains
- Different types of nodes to interact with during your netrunning, both for fun and profit
- Shop for software, hardware, cybetwear or build your own
- Tons of character options as you advance through the game
- 5 game-world factions, each with independent levels of like or dislike towards you
- Advance up to level 20
- Contacts (useful allies in each Faction)
- Many cities to visit through a world map
- More background details for your character
- More mission types
- Edge dice to give you a boost on certain actions
- Play in a rock band to increase your reputation
- More combat options
- Smart drugs to enhance your performance (warning: not safe)
This may sound like a lot of stuff to work on but actually, compared to a grander-scope game like Javelin, it feels more like a medium-sized project which I should be able to get rolling pretty fast. A huge help has been, again, the d20 system (which I use for Javelin too) - mainly in the form of the OGL Cybernet sourcebook , which has pretty much everything designed for me, making 80% of the work just a matter of selecting and bringing that stuff into code - the other 20% work being creating new systems specific to the game.
Visually, I plan to reuse a lot of art assets from Decker, so the game may end up feeling a lot similar (especially when netrunning), unless an artist decides to come along for the ride to create new images. I plan on using the web stack to create some cool effects as far as the UI is concerned but that is not a priority for the project (and I'm not very good at it either).
So, for now, I plan on spending this weekend totally focused on this project. I can't say what the future will hold and I don't think I'll be doing a rush to get 1.0 ready, unless this weekend shows a lot of promising progress already. This post here is mainly to gauge what the community interest is for a new cyberpunk roguelike-like - so please let me know if you'd like me to post status updates as I go along!
Finally, I'm going to cheat and leave you guys with a Decker screenshot, to be replaced later on with actual screenshots from the game. Since Decker is the main inspiration here, it should at least help people understand, more or less, what Infojack is supposed to feel like: